Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Maine coon question

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Psfive, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Psfive

Psfive PetForums Newbie

i have a 6 month old Maine coon who is not fixed yet as breeder said to wait until a year. He said his mane won't come in as full if you neuter too early. Plus said they are not sexually mature until a year old I have a domestic female who I just inherited from my mom. She is not fixed yet and in heat. I don't want kittens . What is your opinion on Maine coon males age and being able to reproduce? They are both indoor cats .

2. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

I am sure that you will get loads (if not a torrent) of comments and advice on this one but I haven't heard anyone else on here ever mention that MCs should be neutered a lot later than any other kitten. I would most definitely keep the two separated. How old is the female cat and is there a reason why she hasn't been neutered?

It could well be that you are correct but it is best to be on the safe side and not let them get together.

3. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

Of course they can reproduce! please keep them separate and neuter them both

Babyshoes, chillminx, AmsMam and 2 others like this.
  4. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Your MC can reproduce from 6 months old.
    Neutering does not affect the mane, this will grow regardless.
    The mane comes in very thick and long once the kitten coat changes to the adult coat, so around a year to 13 months he will have a beautiful mane.

Book both to be neutered if you can at the same time.
    The girl especially if you need to do one at a time.

chillminx, lymorelynn, Psfive and 5 others like this.
  5. Psfive

Psfive PetForums Newbie

My mom had to move to a nursing home so I took her cat in a month ago. She is a 4 year old and a inside cat. I had gotten my male maine coon in January. I wasn't too concerned when roo came because the breeder said that he wont sexually mature until about a year. However yesterday I heard her screech and found roo on top of her biting her neck. There was no connection that I seen but immediately I went in panic mode and have roo in my spare room until I can get her fixed. I want to wait until she is out of heat and then I will take her in. I appreciate everyones response and help.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Take her in now for her check up and blood work and schedule the surgery for next week. There is no need to wait, and every reason for haste. Keep her separate from the kitten during recovery. Get him done as soon as you can, but the female needs to be done immediately.

I can't imagine why a 4 year old cat has been made to live intact like that all these years. It's just not right.

7. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

All the MC breeders I know neuter before adoption, no issues with the ruff coming in.

Penetration doesn't take long, do get her spayed asap.

Psfive and lorilu like this.
  8. RottieMummy

RottieMummy Run free at the bridge my darling x

My vet neuters at 4 months old and even younger for ferals as they can become pregnant at a very young age! Book the female in asap, they might have mated and you didn't see it. Males stay fertile for a while after neutering so the female really really needs doing first and quickly.

Psfive, claire8234 and lorilu like this.
  9. Psfive

Psfive PetForums Newbie

Possibly because you have unlimited funds to do it. Its a $300 operation here. My mom was in her late 70s and on ss income only when someone dumped this kitten. She took her in, was the only cat living in the house and she was never let outside. She was loved , had regular checkups at the vet and given a good home so I am somewhat insult by your remark about her "being made to live intact".. The cat does not suffer when they are intact. If there are no other cats it isn't a concern.

10. Psfive

Psfive PetForums Newbie

thank you everyone for the respectful replies and advice. Roo goes in on Monday for surgery and I have confined my male until then.

11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Unspayed female cats who are not bred are at greater risk of pyometra and breast cancer than spayed cats, especially those spayed before their first call (heat). Treating either of those makes the $300 look cheap. Also, quite a few female cats will spray urine when in call. My view is that the cost - whatever it is where you live in the world - needs to be factored in when deciding to get a cat.

lorilu likes this.
  12. Psfive

Psfive PetForums Newbie

Yes all true. I hadn't planned on getting another cat so her expenses were not planned on but I am working it in and had planned to spay/neuter both. My main question was wondering if the breeder I got my cat from was correct in saying to wait because Maine coons mature slower than other cats. I have never had this breed so thought I would ask. I have gotten some feed back It all just came together too fast and I was unprepared hence my post. The other option was taking my moms cat to the pound and I didn't have the heart to do that. I appreciate you input.

13. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

This isn't true I'm afraid. I am sorry it is so expensive where you are but a female cat, left intact is in danger of pyometra and mammary cancer and your mother's cat really needs to be spayed

chillminx and lorilu like this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

In addition to the diseases already mentioned, going into to heat every two weeks for almost 4 years can cause a lot of psychological suffering. Glad her misery will be ended this coming Monday. She has had a check up and blood work done then? Well done.

15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Psfive - $300 for neutering is expensive! In countries such as the UK, the USA, Canada, and some parts of Europe etc there are animal welfare charities that will help with the cost of neutering, or even provide a voucher to pay for the whole veterinary cost of neutering for cats whose owners are on welfare benefits. Have you investigated that at all?

In some countries there are also clinics that do free neutering for cats whose owners are on welfare benefits.

You have done a good kind thing in adopting your mother's cat and as your mother was on welfare benefits it may be you could get some financial help with her cat's spay operation.

Re: your MC kitten, the problem with leaving him intact until he is a year old is that he will be sexually mature by then and may well have started spraying your house with urine to scent-mark, as that is what intact males do. The odour of an entire male cat's urine is very strong and stinky. :( While the majority of cats do stop spraying indoors once neutered there is a percentage (c. 10%) who do not stop. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice