Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Maine Coon personalities

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jo-pop, Oct 22, 2012.

1. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

For those of you who have, or have had, Maine Coons please could you tell me a bit about their general personalities.

Are they laid back or not?
    Are they generally friendly and people orientated or not?

etc etc

Also, what is the coat shedding like? Horrendous or not?

I know it depends on the actual cat itself but I am talking generally.

2. SiaAndMaxsMum

SiaAndMaxsMum PetForums Senior

I have a stray cross moggy, two vets independently have said he's a maine coon cross but I have no way of knowing...but anyway if he is then Main Coons are INSANE! ;)

He's 7 months old, loves to destroy EVERYTHING, but is also the most loving cat I've ever known. He's splashes around in water, and sleeps on my head at night!

I'm sure I've read that they are really docile though and the most popular cats in America.

3. groundhogdaze

groundhogdaze PetForums Member

We got ours when she was 2 yr old and I think she was mistreated by whoever had her before us. She took an instant dislike to my then 17 yr old daughter and physically attacked her. She could get a bit feisty with us as well but a lot of patience and time and we have a very playful, very vocal, and now very loving cat. She's coming up to 6 yr old and is as crazy as any kitten - if you could have a 6.5 kg kitten then it's a coonie:eek:ut::lol:

She has a split personality as when some people come into the house she reverts to timid scaredy cat mode - mostly women so it must have been a woman that mistreated her, yet when certain of my male friends come in she's rubbing herself up against them??

She's very vocal and now demands food and/or cuddles very loudly and she follows me around the house like a dog during the day and sleeps (mostly) on my wife's head at night. If I thought it wouldn't upset her I would have more Maine Coon's tomorrow. Can't recommend them highly enough.
    :wink:

4. SiaAndMaxsMum

Aw poor girl!! She's so lucky to have found such an incredible family like yours! :)

I often think max is crossed with a dog...he has very dog like tendencies...and given half the the chance will eat everything! He wraps his big bushy tail round his face when he sleeps like a squirrel (he's doing it now next to me on the sofa).

My husband and I keep thinking he'll calm down soon...I'm getting the impression he'll be a crazy kitten for ever!!! :D

SO CUTE!

5. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Big daft silly sod is how I describe my Rosso..... Gentle, laid back but outgoing personality, loves to play, a little shy of strangers till he gets to know them, wanders around chatting and chirruping to himself, Not the brightest cat I've ever met (more hair than brains) LOVES his cuddles, he does the 'drop and roll' manoeuvre when he wants his tummy rubs, still very kitten-like in his behaviour, full of mischief and always on the lookout for trouble (although that could be the red gene) he definitely has a big personality without being too demading and everyone who meets him falls in love with him!

I wouldn't describe the coat shredding as horrendous (more slightly annoying) It would be better if he enjoyed being groomed but he doesn't, so I tend to go in for short, sharp bursts of brushing while he is sleepy!

I think this photo sums him up... Can you guess what happens next?
    [​IMG]

6. Cyberfyn

Cyberfyn PetForums VIP

Coonies, like any other cats are all individuals. All with their own little personalities, and all quite different! Our two are poles apart. Dexter is a loving and gentle giant who loves cuddles and sitting next to you watching TV. Honey however is little miss independant, who needs no-one and only visits you when SHE needs something. A lot of people say that the boys are more loving than the females, and in our two I can vouch for that!

As semi longhaired cats they do shed hair, but that's to be expected. If you don't want cat hair everywhere, get a short haired breed :wink:

Be prepared to supersize everything. Including a food budget. Normal toys, cat trees, cat flaps etc will not last long!

Have a long look at the Index website for detailed info and advice.

But be warned. One is never enough!

Ian F.

7. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

my Rusty, ( who is one today, Happy birthday Rusty,) is playful, gets into things that he shouldnt, BUT so does Coco my British shorthair varient.Polar-Bear is only a baby and only been here a week, he is very cuddly,loves human company. Smudge is alot quieter than Rusty, more layed back,he is about 8 months,:)

#7 colliemerles, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  8. SiaAndMaxsMum

Whilst I was reading your replies Max came bounding in the living room with a half eaten washing up sponge in his mouth which he proceeded to destroy. The rest I found strewn across the floor leading to the kitchen - he'd been out of the living room literally one minute! HA!:D

9. Cyberfyn

Cyberfyn PetForums VIP

Yep. Classic Coonie surpise attack. Or they might get comfy and fall asleep in the process. Dexter is also not the sharpest tool in the box bless him. Must be a red thing?

[​IMG]

10. SiaAndMaxsMum

Rosso is one handsome fluff ball!!!!! :D

11. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

One day I will have a red Maine Coon - they are beautiful - and I like the idea of them being a bit daft! :D

12. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Were you thinking of getting one Jo? :smilewinkgrin:

13. The Minkey

The Minkey PetForums Member

I was sold a kitten earlier this year which I was told was 1/2 MC, 1/2 moggie. Is he or isn't he, I'll never know, but he does have what appear to be some MC traits.

He was an enormous kitten with huge tufted paws, but he doesn't have the ear tufts, and although his tail is bushy it's not long like a full MC's would be. At 1yr old, his coat is sort of woolly with some guard hairs with what looks like the beginnings of a mane - his promise of size hasn't translated as he's got older - he had some teething problems and failed to gain much weight for a few months when he was young - but what he lacks in size he makes up for with muscularity and stockiness.

He follows me round the house like a little dog. Joins me when I go for a nap, when he becomes super-cuddly, often falling asleep on his back crooked in my arm with his head on my shoulder, lol. Oh, and he does this thing when lying on his back, at the edge of the bed say, of allowing himself to fall off backwards - such a little clown.

When he comes in and can't see me straightaway, he miaows loudly and when I answer, he comes to find me. I went away for a few days a few weeks back, and was given a very warm and noisy welcome once he'd come through the catflap to see me sitting in the kitchen. Never had a cat that genuinely seemed pleased to see me for reasons other than dinner. Love him to death :)

If he's truly 1/2 MC, then I should imagine it would be hard to find a more cuddly cat than a full breed.

14. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Our two has all the traits mentioned, They really are great cats with their own personalities Tho Indie tends to be more Clownish than Hamish. :D

15. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

All I can say, is I've never known a cat with SO much personality as Pyrrha. She's in a league of her own and that's taking nothing away from our other 3, I love them to bits..

She's constantly entertaining, chatty, mental, naughty, ridiculously loving, hilarious.. I could go on. She quite literally makes me squeal with delight every time I see her. As I've said on here before, I could never now see my life without a Maine Coon in it.

Shedding with her seems non existent.. But her coat completely reflects her - a little bit crazy and all over the place, with a tummy like sheep's wool. She knots easily under her legs if we don't keep on top of it.

16. ljs85

ljs85 PetForums VIP

Mental is the first word that comes to mind when I think about Tiberius - A red MC. But really he's a lovably oaf :) Gentle, likes to run to the door when I open it, slightly intelligent (got him doing tricks such as sit and paw), but slightly daft. Likes to sit on things that he really can't fit into. Loves to thump down onto the floor in awkward places (like the middle of the stair!)

However, my little Ezri (silver and black) is another kettle of fish. Graceful, intelligent, not quite as outgoing (but it is early days yet), know's her own mind when it comes to hugs.

The best thing about MC's though?? Well since they are addictive, they thankfully get on like a house on fire :D

[​IMG]

17. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

I have to say these magnificent cats are really growing on me!

One day, I see myself with one :D

A red :)

18. ljs85

ljs85 PetForums VIP

Don't say we didn't warn you :D

19. jess91

jess91 PetForums Senior

Rocco is ridiculously naughty (well, he is red :eek: ) He steals food he isnt meant to eat, food he is meant to eat, and anything else that might take his fancy. He's not the friendliest of cats, doesn't like cuddles or being picked up, but will come and sit beside you if you have something he wants. He's hilariously funny, playful and gets on well with the other cats ( except Smudge who he's frightened of) He's shy of visitors but outgoing around us. He's vocal and howls like a wolf when you dish the food out.

Oreo is even naughtier than Rocco, if thats even possible. He makes Rocco look angelic, but he is only a baby :D
    He eats more than any cat I've ever come across. He's much friendlier and will come and fall asleep in your arms. Neither shed much but do need brushing to stop knots forming.
    They're fun to watch and be around, but neither is the sharpest tool in the box :D

HTH :)

Attached Files:

20. monkeymummy32

monkeymummy32 PetForums VIP

Humphrey is 19 weeks old, he's such a people person, loves being near you and enjoys are good snuggle in the evening. He seems to have taken a real liking to my 2 year old son and will often sleep on him or by him when he has a nap. He is very vocal and often answers you back when spoken to. He's a red smoke & white but so far I can't say he's shown any evil red tendencies but maybe that will come with time!! He loves water, and will sit and talk to me whilst I'm in the shower. As he's still a kitten, his fur isn't shedding at all as yet, and it is soo soft, like a baby rabbit! Thanfully he does enjoy being groomed and I try to do a quick comb all over every day to make sure he gets used to it and to keep on top of it. As you may remember, I also have a British Shorthair and they get along brilliantly :D

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice