Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Maine Coon cats :)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cherrie_b, Jun 21, 2010.

1. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I have just come across this advert on Preloved and have been speaking the lady who has bred these kitties. She is about to send me pictures of the kittens she has available aswell as the mother and father. But I wondered what you guys thought? I have told her I am not saying I will have one or anything, just gathering information etc.

Preloved | full breed maine coon kittens £100 for sale in Bradford, England, UK

2. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

It depends what you are after... questions to ask include
    how old will they be when they leave parents?
    how come they are not doing any of the other 'normal' purebred/pedigree things like vaccinations?
    do they come with a pedigree?

without a certified pedigree then no matter how well bred they are they are essentially no different to a mog when it comes down to it which is why you pay £370+ for a pedigree... without the paperwork, vaccinations, vet checks etc etc then I don't see how anyone can really justify more than £20-£50 for a kitten when you then have all the vaccs/chipping etc to pay yourself.

beautiful kitty though... don't know enough about coonies to tell whether tis a purebred

3. lestroischats

lestroischats PetForums Member

Honestly? My first thought is that the price is far too cheap (mine were £300-£400) and the mispellings in the advert would personally make me run a mile. I think you need to ask her a lot of questions. Is she a registered breeder? Is this her first litter? Are mum and dad related? What breeder did they come from? Was the litter planned? etc, etc.

I'm not a breeder or particularly knowledgable about it, so I could be miles out here and she could be perfectly legit (a registered breeder), but my first guess is that she doesn't have a GCCF prefix but has either accidentally or on purpose got her MC knocked up. I would be interested to see the pedigrees / registered names of the parents because I would want to know if they were both on the active register.

That said, how much it bothers you is up to you. If you just want a happy, healthy MC kitten, then there's no automatic reason (beyond the fact that as an unregistered breeder she may not have any idea what she's doing) why these won't deliver. But if you want the security of registered pedigree kittens and a breeder who will support you, then you'd be better off paying a bit more and seeking a breeder throught the GCCF or MCCC.

My concern would be that the breeders she's got mum and dad from might not know that they're being used to breed from, and might not be very happy about it. I guess you could say that it isn't your problem, but it's whether you want to support that kind of practice, if it is indeed going on. Hopefully none of these concerns are valid and she's just a legit breeder with insanely cheap kitties.

Edit: totally agree with Indysmama, they are very cute kitties!

4. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Indeed, I will ask her all these questions. The spelling mistakes are one thing that I was concerned with...but when I spoke to her on the phone, it became apparent that she is not English. That said, her English is very good. :lol:

I am not fussed as to what breed of kitty I have as a friend for Lola. She is pretty laid back but she is very vocal, the Bengal in her coming out I imagine. This kitty is just very pretty. I would like a fluffy cat as Felix RIP was fluffy and I bonded better with him because of the grooming I did. Plus, I like big fluffy cats. :) A Maine Coon with papers etc in the region of £400 is out of the question :(

5. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Did you find out if their registered? I really can't see them being because of the price tag. Oh and watch out for scams, i encountered so many. Ask the beeder to take a picture of the kitten with todays paper, proving she actually has them!

6. lestroischats

lestroischats PetForums Member

I'm not surprised, they are super expensive. (We only got one initially because we couldn't afford two, then I saved for months to get the other kitties). If all you want is a fluffy gorgeous mog then provided they seem happy, healthy etc then I'm sure you'll be delighted. They're a gorgeous breed, papers or no. :thumbup: Just visit the breeder if you can and ask them as many questions as poss.

7. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

You could always ask if the parents have papers the kittens may not have any for that price but you never no, very cheap for a MC though Louie was £350 & we paid £250 some 10yrs ago for our last fella. Have you had a look at the MC cat club web site there may be a rescue on there & sometimes breeders have queens they have used for breeding but are no longer doing so & rehomeing them, depends if you want a kitten though. Have a look on pets4homes to :)

8. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

if you're not fussed about breed per se then why not get a rescue mog? they come in longhaired and it is now kitten season so much choice :) and they are often either pre vaccinated or you get vouchers towards vaccinations and neutering.

Mind... as long as you are happy with what you are getting and believe it worth £100 then don't let it stop you, just be cautious (ie don't part with any cash until kitten is in your mitts)

9. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I have e-mailed the seller with some of the questions you guys have suggested. If she can show me documentation that the little one has had its vacc's etc then I don't mind paying the £100. But...she is all the way over in Bradford so I will definitely be visiting before I make any payments etc. Fortunately I am very cautious in cases like this :)

I am going to keep looking before I make any kind of decision. :)

10. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

The other thing that strikes me with this add, is that it may be someone who bought a male and female litter mate. Then didn't get around to spaying/castrating in time. Presumably incestuous offspring is highly frowned upon by the GCCF? I'd hope so anyway!

So I personally would stay well clear unless she lets you see the mother and fathers pedigree where you will clearly see if this is the case or not. I would not accept a scan of the pedigree's or a photocopy either, only the originals.

11. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Very pretty kitten in the advert but I don't think it is a Maine Coon. If you don't get details of parents pedigree you may just be paying £100 for a fluffy moggy, which is a little expensive. You are very sensible to be careful of scams - there are lots out there. Hope you find a friend for Lola soon though.

12. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

She has sent me pics of both the mother and father. Would you all like to see them?

13. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Yes please :D:

14. Dally Banjo

Come on hurry up :D

15. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

PICT0243.jpg

PICT0320.jpg
    This is the male she also has.

PICT0386.jpg

PICT0393.jpg

PICT0394.jpg

16. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

PICT0402.jpg

The last one :)

17. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Now I would be even more cautious. It does look to me that the likelihood is that mum and dad are litter mates, being of such similar colouring. I know this isn't necessarily a reason to assume this as you can buy similar colours from different litters, but I would be cautious.

18. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I thought exactly the same :frown:

19. Dally Banjo

20. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice