Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Maine coon carriers

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Soundbites, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Soundbites

Soundbites PetForums Newbie

im getting a MC kitten and while a normal carrier will be fine for now, but if his parents are anything to go by, he’ll need a big one in time..... any suggestions

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Soundbites and welcome :)

I don't have a Maine Coon but mine is large build longhaired cat weighing 6.5 kg and this carrier is perfect for him.

Also, as importantly, it fits in the back seat of my hatchback car, and I can manoeuvre it in and out with ease. The fact it is top opening makes it easy to get my cat in and out of the carrier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Ex...&sr=8-4&keywords=wire+cat+carrier+top+opening

I tried about half a dozen carriers for him (including a Cabriofix) before I found this one, and it is the best!

EDIT: the size of the carrier is 56 cm x 38 cm x 40 cm (tall). (22 in x 15 in x 15.5 in) Plenty of room for a large cat the size of a Maine Coon to turn round in, or stand in. An acquaintance of mine who has Maine Coons uses these carriers and is very happy with them.

#2 chillminx, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  3. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

length and height need to be considered as well as weight. I’ve held Coonies that weigh less than my boys but the build is completely different.

Can your breeder not recommend a carrier that works for her cats?

Rufus15 likes this.
  4. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

@chillminx what do you put on the floor of the wire one? My big lad gets car sick so wondering if he would be better in a wire one where he can see around more but obviously worried about him vomiting (or worse, as that has also happened in the past!) onto the car seat!

5. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I agree with @spotty cats, you need to discuss with your breeder what may be suitable for their lines.

I have two MCs that are half-siblings; the male is on the lower end of average at 6.2kg, the female is quite hefty at 5.7kg. Both are much bigger than my 5.2kg moggy, as their bone structure is significantly different. My Coonies are taller and longer than my moggies, even the kitten (3.9kg) is now outgrowing the moggies in terms of length and height. As such, a normal carrier isn't suitable for them.

I use Cabrio carriers, and I'm shortly due to get a large size Mool fabric carrier from Amazon. Both are used by MC breeders and show exhibitors as are suitable for both height and length. The pricier end of the market are carriers like Petzden, which are similar to Mool. Anything else would not be suitable; they need room to stand, sit, and turn comfortably, and it needs to be robust.

Mool

Petzden

Cabrio

#5 Rufus15, Jul 22, 2018
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Orla, I put an off-cut of carpet in the bottom of the carrier, (I cut it to fit with a Stanley knife) and then put two layers of puppy training pads on top of the carpet. So if my cat gets motion sickness (or one time he pooed in his carrier) then I can remove the top puppy pad and dispose of it, leaving a clean pad underneath.

#6 chillminx, Jul 22, 2018
    Clairabella and Orla like this.
  7. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

Thanks @chillminx, carpet offcut makes perfect sense under the disposable puppy pad layer.

chillminx likes this.
  8. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

I have Norwegians who are big just not quite MC big. I use sturdi bags but they are expensive (I bought mine when I was in the US) but they are by far the easiest to cart the cats round in but I use mine regularly.

The other option is as Rufus says Mool or similar canvas crates, I find them awkward and bulky for walking great distance with but they are cheap and good for short carrying distance e.g vet. We travel the cats in them with a litter tray when we are going long distances when it’s not practical to put up the Sturdipen.

Just don’t use a carrier that is top opening where the handle attaches to the lid unless it’s an all wire carrier wiith the sliding pin. As I have had it occur to me and to my friend where the top opening clip has come open under the strain of the cats weight. I lost my cat in a hotel car park thankfully I got him back easily and we were still in the vets when it occurred with my friends stud boy (different carrier and I had triple checked the clips were done because of what had happened to me)

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@lillytheunicorn - good point about safety with the top opening carriers. I have had bad experiences like you, with some of the more flimsy carriers.

One carrier sagged so much under the cat's weight that a gap appeared between the door and the floor of the carrier and he got his paw into the gap. Luckily no damage done because I noticed what was happening. Then with a zipped carrier - disaster when the zip jammed with cat inside and the vet had to force zip to get cat out. (carrier then useless as zip broken).

10. Soundbites

Soundbites PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone.... going to have first visit with potential new furry friend today.... I’ll ask what carriers the breeder uses. =^^=

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice