Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Maggots

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by emzybabe, Apr 11, 2011.

1. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Just to say I found 1 on Sunday cleaning out the hutches at my local rescue centre. (dont worry they wont get any more, they hadnt check up on the cleaning the sat volunteers has done outside)

It was foooking sick, had a little red head yuck!! so yea its that warm already!!!

2. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Ewwwwwwwwww......yeah the flies have suddenly come! Would urge all to flystrike their bunnies as well as more regular clean ups! xx

3. Ozzboz

Ozzboz PetForums Junior

Flystrike sprayed my two last week and I must say they rather enjoyed it! Weirdo's :D Perhaps their fluffy bums were hot! LOL

4. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

This is my biggest concern with Rosie where she's sitting in her wee instead of moving. I've used rear guard on her but like anything its not 100%. Checking her bum three times a day with the heat we've had. Bathing her once a week and drying her with the hairdryer to keep her as clean as possible but theres only so much I can do apart from keep her in a bubble.

5. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Mine are on twice weekly cleans now for the summer. Had a dead rat in the bait box which was pretty gross, full of maggots :(

*Heidi*

6. Ozzboz

Ozzboz PetForums Junior

Have dug out the net and put that on the hutch. An old net curtain can really help deter the flies, I clean my hutch everyday with pet spray disinfectant, check bums and empty litter trays daily. Even after doing all that and the flystrike spray I think thats about all I can do really, unless someone can suggest anything else?. Pesky flies :mad:

7. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

I know my saffy got pretty dirty this week. Have bought her and Gus inside temporarily into my bathroom. Problem with a shed...there is so much flmaing wood!!!!!!!! Lol.

8. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

found another 2 today :mad: I'm not sure if there some sort of moth lave, either way they shouldnt be there. Ill have a rummage through the internet some other time.

I think its just a case of these hutches are on their last legs and have lots of little crevices where the woods dried out over the years. They are planing a new bunny unit which will be much better with block walls, the cleaning will be less time consuming and easier to keep on top of

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I keep checking Leo even though he's an indoor bun. I saw what it does within a few hours horrible things. I doubt he'd get any but I'd rather be sure

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice