Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Magdalene sisters

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 0nyxx, Apr 11, 2011.

1. 0nyxx

0nyxx PetForums VIP

Ive just sat & watched the Magdalene Sisters about the evil irish asylums/laundries, hard to beleive the last of these despicable places only closed on 1996!!!!

Girls were sent there for being raped because it was their fault!!!!:mad:
    For getting pregnant:mad:
    Because of physical, sexual & mental abuse (within families as well as outside them):mad:
    Jesus the poor buggars were sent there for next to nothing, where they were abused, physically, mentally & sexually, worked to exhaustion, fed poorly & their wages were kept by the convent/church!

Some 30'00 women are known to have passed through these workhouses, many murdered & buried in unmarked graves, & to this day are still fighting for compensation!

This film was set in 1964 not that long ago when you think about it!

2. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

holy I'll have to watch this when it comes on here....it sounds barbaric doesn't it in this and age 1996 and the 1960's were not that long ago....

3. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Yes seen film couple times these places were terrible poor girls in there through no fault of their own :(

4. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I've seen most of it...girls were sent there for being too beautiful or for talking to strange boys for too long(or flirting).

It's a nasty film, horrible to think this went on and nothing much was done about it :mad:

5. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

I watched it the other day, its shocking. I knew the history of the magdalene workhouses but when its in front of you in a film it really brings home the hard reality that these poor women had to suffer :(

The bit at the end that said the last one closed down in 1996 is shocking! That was only 15 years ago! :mad: :eek:

6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

That is one of the most upsetting movies I've seen. Disgusting to think they were convinced that was the right thing because those girls had sinned by getting pregnant, talking to boys, being too pretty :mad:

7. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Yes ive watched it a couple of times .....awful what these poor girls went thru! :mad::(:(

8. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I've seen this film several times and it never fails to make me angry and reduce me to tears to think that this evil was perpretated by the church. I don't know how those involved - nuns, priests and those who sent their daughters, sisters etc. to those institutions - can live with themselves :nonod:

9. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Funny how all these Sisters of Mercy and priests have turned out to be bigoted deviants.It says it all when they've threatened hell and damnation for all these years.

What did somebody say about power corrupts...

10. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I have read the books, heartbreaking stories, i worked as a teenager in a nun run childrens home, they didnt give the best care thats for sure.

11. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Yes have it on DVD

There's a lot of that that went on and more :(:(

12. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

It makes you wonder what longer term affects it had on the children in their "care" :(

13. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

Yes I have watched it and it upset me.It was on tv the other night and I couldn't bring myself to watch it again. My brother has watched it too and it upset him.
    Awful the way they were treated and to think that these "people" were of the church and were looked up to by the girls. :mad:

14. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I've read books that cover this subject and it only proves, yet again, how people behave when they 'think' they have got God on their side.

I have no problem with people having beliefs but I have found that the more pious somebody is, the more deviant, nasty or horrible they are.

People with true faith don't brag about it, people who won't shut up about it are the ones who use it as a tool against the rest of society.

We should also remember the children who were taken from their mothers & families and sent to Australia from the 1920's all the way through to the 1960's. And this was done by the British Goverments. Many, many children were told they were orphans, dumped on ships to Oz and suffered very badly both on the trips and upon arrival with their 'new' families.

I always cringe when the UK comdemns the bad behaviour of other countries because it has it's own very dirty history which has been conveniently swept under the carpet.

#14 MoggyBaby, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  15. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Christ dont read the book, its worse! :(

We watched it the other night and OH had to keep telling me to be quiet as I kept muttering expletives :eek:

16. 0nyxx

0nyxx PetForums VIP

im in the process of reading the books & there are quite a few, Kathys Story, Never Tell, Fear of the Collar, Rock me gently, suffer the little children childhood interupted, to name but a few!!!

What angers me more it everyone knew it happened but how hard have they tried to silence the truth!

#16 0nyxx, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  17. 0nyxx

0nyxx PetForums VIP

My daughter watched the film tonight & was quite shocked by it, when I explaind it was common place back then she couldnt get over it, shedecided she'd like to read one of the books herself, & is currently almost half way through it, & still trying to comprehend how people can be treated like that!

18. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

That was one of one a few films that really made me cry. To know that is based in reality is just heartbreaking.

19. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

A faith so obviously lacking in Mercy, Benevolence, and compassion. All the virtues religion is supposed to encompass? :glare:

20. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

I watched the film and found it very good, don't get me wrong sad and highlighted the terrible behaviour of the church but it was portrayed very well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice