Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Made to measure or variable sized crate?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GoldenShadow, May 2, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Rupert's current one JUST fits at the bottom of my bed but a new one wont as his is like this because the fasteners on the edges are rusty so I've forced that side in slightly but even now its hideously tight and I doubt a new one will have anywhere near that amount of give :(

I can't go down a size because he just wouldn't have the head room, I just need it half an inch narrower across the front...Any ideas??

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I'm sure a manufacturer or a car crate manufacturer like Guardsman would custom - make, but it would be expensive.

A fabric one as you could squash it in a little? I have a fabric Croft one for travelling which is good quality and would be fine as a permanent crate as long as Rupert isn't a chewer.

3. GoldenShadow

The biggest fabric one I can find is 69cm (27 and a bit inches) wide which is great. But sadly the height matches the width so it'd be 27 inches of head room and his current crate is a 31 inch and he can sit up OK in that but wouldn't be able to in anything smaller :(

I just saw Guardsman funnily enough. I don't need any fancy doors or anything, just a bog standard crate which instead of being 42 x 31 x 28 is actually 42 x 31 x 27 :eek:

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I have a custom - made Guardsman car crate which I am extremely pleased with.

My fabric crate is 34" high - a Croft Fabrikennel and Kilo can stand up and turn around. I would think he may be a similar size to Rupert as he is taller that a lot of GRs we meet now. (The crate is 42" x 29" x 34").

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

6. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

Hi does Rupert still need a crate? Perhaps he will be fine with out one and you can save some pennies!:)

7. GoldenShadow

Ooh wow fantastic! Honestly everywhere I looked did ones the same width as height and it was all 69cms :( Can I ask how squishable yours is, would I be able to squash it in an inch and a half or not do you think? I have a double bed and it'd need to fit against the footboard you see which from the wall is 27 and a half inches not including skirting boards. I asked about taking the skirting off but Mum said no haha! I have this stupid indent in my wall and if that wasn't there it would fit with space..!

I took it away last year and when we moved here he kept crying and barking when he got left :( Tried all sorts and eventually put his crate up in my bedroom with him in there and he's been quite as a lamb ever since. I've tried leaving him in the kitchen with Milo recently but quite often he just looks at me and wont go in. Its not an I'm going to be naughty or anything because the last two times I've gone out I've said to Milo come on in the kitchen and Rupert immediately runs and sits in his crate ready to be shut in :eek:

I think he just prefers to be in there and that's why I really want to make sure I can get one to fit exactly where his is now so as not to take that away from him. But this one with its fasteners going a bit rusty and flexible may give up the go soon hence looking into a new one :)

I have no worries about him damaging anything or being naughty at all. My room is the quietest part of the house as well so he's not likely to be disturbed and get unsettled and the like. He was fine when left in our old house shut in the kitchen with crate open but here he just barks and cries without it :(

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

It is quite squishable as it doesn't have poles in it as some do so i wouldn't think that would be a problem.

Otherwise, could you use a baby gate across the space with a dog bed in there or is it the cover that Rupert likes?

9. GoldenShadow

I suspect its the cover, and being 'closed in'. Is the front where it looks like there are poles around the edge quite bendy? If I could have these skirting boards off I'd be fine :lol:

Have emailed the dog cage people for a quote out of interest.

10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

It is quite bendy - they are not poles, so nothing to break.

The car crate I had custom made was about £500 so not cheap, but more complicated I would think than a basic crate for your room.

11. GoldenShadow

Ouch :eek:

Fabric one here I come then, when student loan lands of course :lol: Singing:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice