Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Made some doggy biscuits!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CheekoAndCo, Jun 28, 2009.

1. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Went out a trip to Asda earlier and got oatmeal, rye flour, garlic, parsley, peanut butter, honey, cheese and carrots. Made 2 lots with different stuff in them. One being more healthy and the other being more sweet :D First lot was oatmeal, rye flour, garlic, parsley, carrot and some cheese (plus milk and butter) and second lot was oatmeal, rye flour, peanut butter and honey (with milk and butter again). Put them in the oven and took Cheeko out and came back and let them cool then it was time for the taste test. Cheeko can be pretty fussy but he loves them! I made far too much though so I took some down to my neighbours dogs aswell. Told her that the ingrediants are fine for humans to eat so if she wants any for herself she knows where to come :p I put some more in Cheeko's treat ball and now he's sitting infront of the cupboard crying for more! Never known him to like treats with no meat in them plus my cooking can't be too bad either :wink5: The shapes of them aren't very good so didn't take any pictures. Need to get cookie cutters.

2. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

aw its great that he likes them! dont mean to sound negative but be very wary of garlic, its not too good for them so my vet tells me...

Can i have the recipe anyways? I'll just not use garlic :001_tt2:

3. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

Can i have the recipe too? pllllleeeease

Really I didn't know that about garlic... a doggy friend of mine, gives their dogs a clove of garlic a month, apparently helps to keep mites at bay... don't quote me though...

4. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

We used to give our dog garlic but our vet strongly advised against it, I didnt know, and dont know to this day why

5. *WillsTillsBills*

Thankyou, I shall just stick to what we usually use...i definately don't want any upset tums, or dogs for that lol

6. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

Dont not use this just because of the garlic!! nonono, I'm going to make it, just without the garlic as I'm wary like that and my dog is currently pregnant so im not taking any chances lol

7. CheekoAndCo

Don't worry I didn't use too much garlic only a little bit because I was worried it would make him smell of it! The recipie I took from a website and made the rest up myself by adding the bits in it.

Wheat-Free Scotty Biscuits
    1 cup oatmeal
    1 cup rye flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
    1/2 cup milk
    Combine oatmeal, 3/4 cup of the rye flour, sugar and butter together. Slowly add the milk till a firm but slightly sticky dough forms. Scrape out dough onto a wooden board or counter. Knead in the rest of the rye flour till the dough stiffens a little. Wrap in saran wrap and chill for one hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough till 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes ( I like to use scotty dog cutters). Place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn off oven and let biscuits rest till cool in oven with the door closed. Store in air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.

I cut out the sugar and I've just realised I didn't melt the butter. I put the oatmeal in first then added the extras and carried on from there :) Also didn't leave it in the fridge for anymore than 20 mins for it to chill because it started going hard.

8. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

Thats a great recipe and I'm sure cassie will love it, I'll post her feedback here tomorow :)

9. CheekoAndCo

I hope she likes them. Next time I make them I might add apple or banana. If your going to make the ones with honey and peanut butter I'd advise putting the milk in last because the honey and peanut butter kind of takes place of the milk so you don't need as much. A lesson I learnt too late and ended up with messy hands.

10. *WillsTillsBills*

I'm going to try aswel, need to pop to super market tommorow and i'll let you know what they think!! can't see them turning up their noses though!

11. CheekoAndCo

12. *WillsTillsBills*

Lol!! I lovvve that!! I'm going to look for a Bulldog one now!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice