Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Macro and Action photography

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ForestWomble, Jun 26, 2017.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I would love to do macro photography, I would also like to be able to get some action shots.
    My camera is rubbish at both of these, so was wondering what you lovely lot use?

2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I have a Canon 80D and a Canon 60mm Macro lens that I love. The camera is new but I've had the lens a while. I also have a few other lenses that will catch action, but nothing really fast.

Action shots can be about either the lens or the camera, it depends what you are willing to spend, or whether there is any way round things. If you can't afford an expensive camera then to get a decent action shot you need a lot of light.

ForestWomble likes this.
  3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Lets have a look at some of your macro shots ......please :D

4. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

5. ForestWomble

Just looked it up and Ouch! for the price. Way out of my price range!
    Thank you for answering though and your photographs are amazing.

6. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

The photos above were actually taken with my 350D which was the second dSLR introduced to the consumer market by Canon I think. I finally upgraded to the 80D after much umming and ahhing on which one I wanted. Wex photographic do 12 months interest free repayments which is very useful.

But the 350D did me for a long time - looking at Canon's range now, it seems the 1300D is the current equivalent, and you can pick up pre-loved lenses from places like Wex to keep the overall payout down. It depends what you want to do with your photos, and what you want to photograph. You could go for a decent compact or something like the Samsung NX range which are a sort of bridge camera between compacts and dSLRs.

ForestWomble likes this.
  7. ForestWomble

Just had a quick look and the Samsung NX looks more like the kinda size I would be comfortable with.
    I currently have a Panasonic DMC-TZ7 and I like the size and weight and would prefer to stick to something none bulky if possible.

The price of the Samsung is better to! lol

As for what I would like to photograph .......... I'd like to get action shots of Bungo - running, jumping, walking that kinda thing, I see such good photos on here and I'd love to get something even half as good as so many on here achieve.
    I would love to do more detailed photos of plants, insects etc. I love butterflies and moths and the few times I've tried to photograph them, well, my camera doesn't do the best job! lol

8. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

To be able to get good action shots where you freeze movement, you need what's known as a fast lens.

This is designated by f and a number. For instance f4, f5.6 etc.

The lower this number, the 'faster' (or the more light it lets in through the lens diaphragm - or 'aperture') the lens, and so the faster the shutter speed you can use which is what freezes the action.

If you get a compact, you can't control this as much. You may get some manual aperture control, but you are still limited by the lens stuck to the front. BUT you are far better off with interchangeable lenses so you can choose one to suit.

Apologies if you know this and I'm teaching you to suck eggs :)

ForestWomble likes this.
  9. rona

I would love to have a Panasonic again. Does yours not take decent insect shots?

My old TZ10 used to be quite good. Mind you you had to get quite close to the subject and often they would fly off before you managed the shot :D

I know that the smaller Panasonic went a bit awry for a while but they seem to be getting good reviews again

ForestWomble likes this.
  10. ForestWomble

Thank you.

Nope, I didn't know any of that. I like taking photos but don't understand any of the jargon - I just point and shoot. lol

Well, either its the camera or it's me. However never had a decent insect shot.
    Best I've managed:
    P1000934.JPG

and
    P1010196.JPG

Maybe I'll have a look at the newer Panasonics.

11. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

The bridge cameras do tend to be pretty decent in terms of getting action shots etc. Not sure whether they're good for macro shots or not. @Hanwombat had a bridge camera so she may be able to advise you better.

ForestWomble and Hanwombat like this.
  12. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

Do you have a London Camera Exchange near you? They sell 2nd hand cameras, so you can get more for your money. My local one usually has DSLR cameras for under £100.

If you don't want to be changing lenses you can get some very good bridge cameras. I have a Canon which has a sports mode which enables you to get photos of things that are moving. You just turn a dial to adjust the mode. You can't get macro shots like you could with a macro lens, but the picture quality is pretty good so you could take photos from a slight distance and crop them.

ForestWomble likes this.
  13. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I sometimes take closeups of the jewellery I make with my NX1000. This is a bead that's about 3/4 of in inch across

[​IMG]Swirled drop in polymer clay by Claire Oswald, on Flickr

And equally, it can take shots like this. Granted it's through the viewfinder of a telescope, but it's still pretty impressive for a bridge.

[​IMG]Almost full supermoon by Claire Oswald, on Flickr

:)

ForestWomble, Dogloverlou and rona like this.
  14. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

They are fantastic!

ForestWomble likes this.
  15. MrsZee

MrsZee Guest

My friends spends most of her free time taking pictures of wild animals as her hobby, This is one of them. She has a pretty good camera, but not a professional one. Usually it takes about a hundred photos to get one "decent" one. Lets see if I can attach the photo.

A waxwing having a meal.

upload_2017-6-27_20-38-52.png

16. rona

Oh yes, I delete far more than I keep. Means that when you do get a good one it really makes you chuffed.
    Sometimes I've taken photos and haven't known how good they are until I've got home and seen them on a big screen

17. ForestWomble

Just did a quick google of bridge cameras and I think that sounds exactly what I'm looking for :) Thank you.

No I don't have a London Camera Exchange near me :(

These bridge cameras sound really good :)

Wow. Those photos are fantastic, particularly like the moon photo.

Wow. That's a beautiful photo :)

Dogloverlou and MrsZee like this.
  18. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Nice backlighting :)

It's difficult to remember the days of film when you had to get all those hundreds developed to find the decent one. It's so much easier now to snap away without thinking about the cost.

MrsZee and ForestWomble like this.
  19. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Thank goodness Dogloverlou mentioned them ;)

:D

ForestWomble likes this.
  20. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I should imagine they do online stuff too - I know Wex do. And I can vouch for the quality of the pre-loved items being exactly what they say they are. And no, I'm not on commission :)

Thank you.

ForestWomble likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice