UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share some pics of my giant stick insects.
I find them fascinating insects. They look like broken bits of leaves.
The females are considerably larger than the males and carry with them quite an impressive set of armour. They sport thick spines along the underside of their bodies and along the legs. The females have short stubby wing buds, they don't fly.
The males however are much less armoured. The body is more slender, less spiny. The males carry an impressive set of wings and fly very well. My fully grown male looks like a small bird when he flutters around my lounge.

They will feed on Bramble, rose, and Eucalyptus....theyve been thriving on a bit of bramble I allowed to grow in my garden just for them. I've had them (2 females and one male) for around 6 months. They've grown massively in that time. They shed their skin as they grow. Theyve now reached their full size and they are pretty big as you will see by the pics to follow.
The females have been laying numerous eggs for over a month now. I've got over 100. I'm eager to see them hatch.Any tips for keeping the eggs in good condition will be greatfully received, they are currently being stored in a tub inside the insect tank.

pics....

Attachments

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
I remember when my mum announced she had bought the children some stick insects and she produced some macleays spectres, I though they looked amazing, they were really fantastc pets to own too. I might have to steal some babies off you if any hatch :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.