Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lymphoma

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Alfieboy12, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Alfieboy12

Alfieboy12 PetForums Newbie

This is really hard to write, my England Bull Terrier Alfie who is 12 years old has been diagnosed with lymphoma. We are all devastated as you can imagine and the vet advised against treatment as all his lymph nodes are swollen. I’m really after some advise on when the right time will be to let him go, he is still eating, he still managing a little walk but his neck is very swollen and breathing seems different. I was wanting some advise from people experience. This all seem so hard trying to make the right decision. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your lovely dog. I have no experience of this but a week early is better than a week late. Has the vet given any indication?

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I am so sorry you are facing this. There is a scale used to assess our pets' quality of life when they are seriously ill. I understand it was developed for cancer care but the principles apply to any life limiting condition. What is their quality of life in relation to Hurt, Hunger, Hydration, Hygiene, Happiness, Mobility and More good days than bad days. You can find more detail here https://pawspice.com/q-of-l-care/new-page.html There is a saying, better a week too soon than a day too late. It's a terrible decision but one that responsible owners have to face. If it helps, the Blue Cross has a pet bereavement counselling service.

Alfieboy12 likes this.
  4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I had a dog PTS with lymphoma. Unfortunately he was already at stage 4 at diagnosis and I only had another 16 days with him.

He lost all weight and muscle mass and became a skeleton. His mandibular lymph nodes were not draining fluid and his jaw area became swollen. This affected his ability to breath, particularly when resting, and also to eat. It was at this point I decided it was time to let him go. I also discovered he'd got a large mass in his belly area, likely cancer of the spleen which often goes hand in hand with lymphoma.

Previous to his diagnosis he was struggling with his energy levels and lost motivation for things, which is why I took him to the vet in the first place.

I chose palliative care because even with chemotherapy, the outcome is still very bleak and their life isnt extended by much.

I really feel for you, I hope you manage to get a decent time left with your dog.

Alfieboy12 likes this.
  5. Alfieboy12

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the advice and help.

6. Alfieboy12

We only found out Friday so I’m going to contact our vet tomorrow.

7. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Hopefully they can help I hope it goes well.

Alfieboy12 likes this.
  8. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

What a sweet old guy, you must be devastated. But as above a week early is much better than a week too late, you really don't want him to suffer. Give him the best possible time you can over the next few days/weeks/however long you have, but don't let it get to the point where you regret not doing it sooner. It's the final act of love we can show to our dogs. Letting them gently and calmly slip into sleep while we hold them and talk to them is hard but we have to do it.

Alfieboy12 and JoanneF like this.
  9. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry.

We had to have our old boy PTS last year because of Lymphoma. He maintained a good quality of life for 4 months, until the day before we made the decision.
    In the end all of his lymph nodes were massively enlarged and there was something going on in his stomach.
    He'd been able to play and eat right up until the end, but he had very clearly had enough and his breathing started to be affected. I think the heat made it worse for him, he really suffered badly last summer.
    I knew it was the right choice when he just lay down on my lap in the car, on the way to the vet.

It doesn't change the heartbreak, but it was a lot more peaceful than I imagined it would be. I never regretted it.
    xx

10. Alfieboy12

Our dog is eating, and seem up and down but the last view days his vision seems not right he keeps bumping into things. I am thinking of phoning the vets. Thanks for the support!

11. dixydax

dixydax PetForums Newbie

My Pointer was diagnosed with Lymphoma at the age of 10yrs 4 months. The vet put him on steriods to 'give him a bit of a boost' and said he had 4-6 weeks at most. When I asked if he was in pain he said no, but that he would start to suffer with depression and I would know then that the time was right. Up until this point he had been happy healthy and very energetic. I still took him for his daily walks with his brother and spoiled him with all kinds of tasty treats he had never had before, he seemed perfectly ok. The only obvious sign he had Lymphoma were the lumps on the back of his his hind legs.Two weeks after his diagnosis, whilst on a local walk he just stopped when I took off his lead, turned his head back towards home and wouldn't walk on with his brother. That was my decision time, I had him pts at home the same day, I just knew he was giving up and I couldn't bear to see him so sad, keeping him alive for longer would have been selfish - broke my heart. I'm sure you will know when, you will see it in his eyes, so sorry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice