Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lymphoma in a FeLV positive cat - Anyone with experience?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Squares, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Squares

Squares PetForums Newbie

A rough last couple of weeks. What we thought was just a "simple" infection in our 5 year old cat turns out to be Lymphoma and we found out she has FeLV. Devastated doesn't even cover it. Especially when she is indoor only and last had contact with another cat at 3 months old!

She is receiving very good veterinary care but I just want to hear what experiences others may have?

We are agonising whether to proceed with chemo as we don't want to put her through a lot of treatment and agony only to keep her around a bit longer for our own selfish reasons with a reduced quality of life.

This is my first pet and I don't know how I'm gonna manage in the months to come :Bawling I'm kicking myself for not vaccinating against it ("Indoor cats don't need it") and racking my brain trying to figure out how the hell this has happened. Should I not have taken her out on a lead in the garden occasionally? She's even been raw fed! I've done everything wrong....

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Squares and welcome :)

I am very sorry to hear about your poor cat having FeLV and Lymphoma. For an indoor-only cat, the risk of contracting FeLV is very low, so she has been unlucky.

A blood test called an ELISA, can identify FeLV proteins in the blood. A second blood test, the IFA, detects the progressive phase of the infection. Cats that are IFA-positive generally tend to have a rather poor long-term prognosis.

At present there is no cure for FeLV infection. Secondary infections can be treated as they occur and cats with lymphoma can be given chemotherapy. However, the prognosis is not good for a cat with widespread lymphoma, or bone marrow involvement. Has the vet said how far the lymphoma has progressed?

Cats do often cope pretty well with chemotherapy, and may not become ill from the treatment as humans usually do. Has your vet said there is a good prognosis with the lymphoma if your cat has chemo?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice