Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lying down where!!?? Unusual

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by H.M, Jan 19, 2021.

1. H.M

H.M PetForums Junior

Hi,
    So today I caught Oreo today lying down in the upstairs hooded litter box. This was the second time. Danbi did the same thing when I took him upstairs for a while today and yesterday. I changed the upstairs litter from catsan to tigerino canada sensitive last week. Not sure why they want to chill inside there? Weird. The downstairs has been changed from the Asda wood pellets to tigerino canada sensitive just yesterday.

20210119_151304.jpg 20210119_151301.jpg

2. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

Hiding in a litter box is something cats often do when they arrive as fosters or go into another new space, as they can easily fill it with their own scent, so it's a form of self soothing, plus it's often solid and partly enclosed so feels safe and cave-like.

Has much changed for them recently? If they have no obvious reason to be stressed, it might be something medical bothering them. If you can't pinpoint it, a vet trip is probably a good idea, just to ensure there isn't discomfort or pain making them want to hide.

That crouched pose, if held for more than a short while, can also sometimes be a sign of a cat who isn't relaxed, either due to external stress or internal pain/discomfort.

ewelsh and chillminx like this.
  3. H.M

H.M PetForums Junior

Nothing else changed except the litter. They went to the vet about 2 weeks ago and passed the health check. First time i saw him he was lying down on his side and so was Danbi. They seem comfortable.

4. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

I think it means they want to use the toilet but don't like the litter - you need to mix the two when changing litters and gradually move to 100% of the new litter

5. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

Just wanted to say what a beautiful cat:Cat

H.M likes this.
  6. H.M

H.M PetForums Junior

All 3 cats use this new litter fine. I've seen them all do their business without trouble at all. Oreo is a very quick learner. I just found it wierd and funny that both cats do this only in the upstairs litter box and not downstairs. They have not seen each other do this so it is a really odd coincidence . But Oreo does do wierd stuff a lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice