Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lurcher puppy help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Tooni, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tooni

Tooni PetForums Newbie

#1 Tooni, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Lurcher's are lovely but are quite full on as puppies but are also very sensitive dogs too.

Firstly she's not being naughty chewing and destroying your garden. She's finding her own ways to amuse herself.
    Chewing is a great activity for dogs, giving outlets to chew from when they are young puppies and especially through the teething stage really helps. So frozen Kong's, natural treats, frozen carrots even frozen food toys for avid chewers. Plus encouragement from the humans in the household to chew helps a lot
    Chewing is also a calming behaviour.

Am a huge believer in training but I tend to train with puppies and new rescue dogs useful things. So there is no use to me that I can get a dog to say twist when I can't actually use twist in any context. I can train calm, that's useful to remind a dog it's ok to settle. I can train go to bed. Useful for times when hoovering. I try to train what is useful to me and not worry about Joe down the road with the YouTube channel whose 12 week old puppy is tap dancing for views now. However he's not toilet trained and he's still jumping up and nipping everyone when he's not tap dancing to singing in the rain.
    So my advice to you is to look at kikopup on YouTube for how to stop a dog jumping up, capturing calmness and look round at whatever else is practical. She does some via clicker training. No clicker no problem use a pen with a clicking top for now.

On walks for now, I would keep distance from people if she's jumping up. You could injure or scare someone and fall foul of the dog laws. So keep your distance and use treats when you see people or anything you know she might react to. If she remains calm then treat. Might be an idea to sit on a bench 10 minutes to have that distance and get the hang of treating her and give praise when she's calm.

Dogs really don't need to interact with other dogs at all. Humans are sociable beings dogs are not. However even us humans do not stop everybody we see in Tesco and go and touch them. We would be seen as crazy so why we expect that dogs that are not sociable to do that it's silly.

Doggy day care can work but for sensitive breeds like lurcher's and those with rough play styles like lurcher's to be honest it's a recipe for disaster. I really wouldn't.

Would she benefit from a friend? Probably not. Separation anxiety usually means they miss human company not their own as they are not particularly sociable. What could happen is you end up with two dogs that you struggle with. Two dogs that pick up bad habits from each other. Usually when someone adds another dog into the mix the most they can hope for is they tolerate each other. Anything else is a bonus. Sadly so many people add dogs for the same reason all the time I think my dog needs company. It doesn't work out. Some owners live with their houses divided which is hard work. Others end up surrendering one dog to rescue. Find a rescue online and there is nearly always at least one whose there because they didn't get on with the other dog in the home. The online selling sites show this too. These are the lucky ones in some respects.

O2.0, Tooni and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

As above.

Make sure the trainer uses only positive, reward based methods too.

Tooni and lullabydream like this.
  4. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

What do you actually do with her other than walk her? Does she get any sort of brain activity each day? Has she ever been taught to just settle down? This was something my Lab had never been taught and he was a nightmare. Food also played a big part in that issue with him, what's she fed? I used a combination of stuffed kongs and other treat toys plus Karen Overalls relaxation protocol with Spen to teach him to just stop and chill out a bit.

My last dog was a chewer. He never grew out of it and we had to manage him with crate training when left. His wasn't separation anxiety however, he just liked to chew and had learned that when nobody was home nothing was off limits. He chewed my walls with the same obvious glee he shredded a cardboard box with. There's a good sticky post at the top of this section about dealing with separation anxiety, might be worth a read.

Would definitely avoid getting another dog until you've got these problems sorted out as chances are you'll just end up with 2 dogs with problems unfortunately. I'd also be avoiding doggy daycare personally. Not a fan of most of them at the best of times and think they can go a long way to teaching a dog bad habits and to be go go go all the time.

Tooni likes this.
  5. Tooni

Tooni PetForums Newbie

#5 Tooni, Sep 6, 2018
  6. lullabydream

Who mentioned pack? Dogs don't have packs. Wolves live in packs.

The old pack theory in dogs has been dismissed long ago.

If your trainer mentioned pack and being more assertive with a sensitive breed then I personally would get rid of the trainer.

Edit to add... Food is an emotive subject. There is more to choosing food then looking on websites. However there is also more to choosing food than whispers on the internet. All good has to follow standards but there are still people to claim food has fillers and crap ingredients without knowing about ingredients. Occasionally some dogs food can have an effect but not all. The best food for your dog is the one that suits. It could be classed as poor quality on a fancy website that holds certain foods better than others due to someone's own belief or the current trend.

O2.0, Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  7. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I really hope also that your trainer didn't give you any pack leader/hierarchy talk.
    I do believe, though, that dogs need someone to take the initiative and show them how to behave in our world, so that they keep themselves out of trouble. Probably the best way to do this is to train them what you would want them to do in any given situation, rather than what they might want to do, cos dogs don't always make the best choices from our point of view.
    Hopefully this is what your trainer meant.

lullabydream, Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  8. Tooni

Tooni PetForums Newbie

#8 Tooni, Sep 7, 2018
  9. lullabydream

Stern isn't always good...especially with a sensitive breed

The best leaders are the ones who work in partnership within the team, not the ones who give orders. Those leaders are usually positive role models who don't need to use authority it's all about respect.

6 weeks it takes usually to see whether a food works for your dog ..your dog may have tried what one meal?

Am done here you obviously know more than me. I will bow out now

O2.0 and Linda Weasel like this.
  10. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

This is exactly my concern. They'll throw her into the more boisterous group and that sort of behaviour will be practiced, reinforced and become the norm. Which then leads to problems when out and about and meeting other dogs because the expectation is that this sort of play will happen.

Lurcherlad, O2.0 and lullabydream like this.
  11. Tooni

Tooni PetForums Newbie

#11 Tooni, Sep 7, 2018
  12. Tooni

Tooni PetForums Newbie

#12 Tooni, Sep 7, 2018
  13. Tooni

Tooni PetForums Newbie

#13 Tooni, Sep 7, 2018
  14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Closed at OP's request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice