Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lurcher only bad at night.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Amy Neill, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Amy Neill

Amy Neill PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I'm at my wits end with my rescue 'lurcher' Chip. We don't know his age exactly but he's around 2. We don't know what he's crossed with or any information on his past as the poor boy was left in a field but as far as they can tell he's a lurcher maybe crossed with something further. Please see guilty party in picture below!

I have heard on other sites that 2 year old lurchers/greyhounds are equivalent to little dinosaurs...

They were certainly right.

Chip is good as gold in the day being a very typical lurcher from what I've read. Lots of sleeping then a mad run around in the garden back to sleeping ect. My problem is first and foremost he is unbelievably naughty at night but good as gold in the day so I'm struggling on training him. In the day he doesn't even steal food anymore I can leave it on the side and he won't go near it. He definitely knows the rules. Then we go to bed and he settles just fine. We don't crate him as its highly highly stressful for him because of his past. He has the run of the kitchen, dining room, hallway and upstairs landing. He has a covered cosy crate to snuggle into which he loves and will often go and sleep in. But all of a sudden he is being a complete nightmare at night. (we think partly because he's settled) Chewing through the stairgate in the living room. Chewing through our lockable bins because we had to get rid of our normal ones because he would knock them over to get inside. The worst part is he doesn't even eat anything out of it. He just tosses it all around the house. He pulls things off the side constantly. Not even things containing food our kettles been over. He had a crack at the microwave too. He will do these things once or twice and then never do them again and likewise he'll not touch anything for days and then, like the bins, go all out war on them.

I'm a first time lurcher owner. I love Chip dearly but I'm losing the will to live and getting about 2 hours sleep because I'm waking up every 2 seconds hearing him destroying everything. Honestly worse than a newborn baby. We don't give him attention when he does these things. We have a camera so we look at the damage and if he isn't hurt or possibly going to hurt himself we leave it until morning. If we do have to go down we completely ignore him so it isn't an attention thing. I can be in my room in the day when getting ready and he's also good as gold too.

Just looking for any advice really please. Is this typical of this breed? And does anyone have any training advice?

(He has many problems due to his past but he's been pretty good at learning things we aren't afraid to train him just at a loss for what to do.)

Attached Files:

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I'm going to start by saying I don't know. But for any sudden change it might be worth getting a vet check.

Then my starting point would be to look at what is different at night.

Could he be hearing something that is disturbing him?

Boredom? Is he not tired enough to settle and sleep?

Darkness - does he have any negative associations with that?

Being confined away from you (more likely maybe) - if he has chewed through the stair gate he maybe isn't happy alone downstairs?

What if he was able to sleep in your room, could you have him there and tell him to settle if he starts getting disturbed?

#2 JoanneF, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Lurcherlad, Sarah H and Amy Neill like this.
  3. Amy Neill

Amy Neill PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. We have honestly thought about what's different and the only thing is that the lights are off. I hadn't thought that it might be the darkness upsetting him I'll see if he's any better with some lamps on.

I don't think it's seperation. The stairgate is on the living room door. He can get to our bedroom door and hasn't scratched or chewed at that and doesn't whine or bother at all.

Boredom is also another good possibility but he has plenty of chews and toys dotted around. Only seems interested in finding and destroying!

Waiting on a call back from our vets they've been a bit dodgy during lockdown.

Thank you for replying I'll definitely give the lamps a shot!

JoanneF likes this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I was going to suggest leaving a light on too and how about a radio or television, is there normally one on in the day.

Lurcherlad, JoanneF and Amy Neill like this.
  5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Sounds like anxiety to me - anxious dogs can be destructive. Just because he doesn't show that he wants to be with you, doesn't mean he is happy being alone at night (if that makes sense).

If he's not anxious, then maybe he's just having fun! He knows he's not allowed to do those things when you're there/during the day, but if you're not there/at night it's a different context to him. My boy will empty bins given the chance - not because he wants food from them, but because it's fun to pull stuff out. He used to do the same when I had a drawer under my coffee table full of ribbons - now relocated!

Does he need the run of that whole area? If you can restrict him to the hallway/landing you might solve your problem.

LittleMow, JoanneF and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

My lurcher (found as a stray so probably similar background) would not be happy away from us at night, so I’d be inclined to put his bed kp in your room.

That way you can just tell him to knock it off and settle.

However, it could be he has too much room to roam around and scope to get up to mischief so maybe try decreasing his area if you don’t want him in the bedroom.

Maybe just the kitchen (cleared and secure ;)) behind a baby gate (solid doors can cause anxiety) or the upstairs landing (again, try a gate on your room rather than a solid door).

Kitchens can be cold at night and echo any sounds, inside and out, and often windows aren’t covered against the moonlight which can disturb them.

I’d put toys away at night too. Just leave out water and a handful of kibble maybe.

Might be worth a walk round the block last thing at night too to take the edge off any energy and do a full “empty”.

LittleMow, JoanneF and Nicola234 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice