Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lurcher Lab X Jumping Over Fence

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Malibugirl, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Malibugirl

Malibugirl PetForums Junior

Well we finally got Lolly, our 9 month old lurcher lab cross from the RSPCA on Friday and she is gorgeous (Ill post some pics on the gallery later). She jumps up a lot (not just on her back legs, with all four legs in the air), but we have already started to combat that with ignoring her and then clicker training and treating when she sits nicely. Its working a treat and she is learning fast.

Our friends / next door neighbours have a 4 year old lab called Elvis who Lolly has met and they get on amazingly, albeit Lolly tires him out a bit with her constant puppy playing, but they do get on well and play nicely. However, the problem we have is that now Lolly knows Elvis lives next door, whenever she hears him or sees him through the fence (6ft high), she tries to jump over. Being a lurcher, she would achieve it if we didn't grab her collar. Im worried that as she is still a pup and will probably grow a bit more, that one day she is going to achieve it and end up at best hurting herself (they have a wall the other side) and at worst, getting out of their garden and running amock down the road! We are going to put trellis on top (another foot), but I dont think that will stop her from trying as she jumps so high and there is really a limit to how high we can put it. The other fences are the same height but she doesn't bother with those ones (I assume because there is nothing she wants to get to on the other side). We now feel that we wont be able to leave her unattended in the garden which is a bit sad as we want her to have her own space when she wants it.

Apart from the obvious of heightening the fence, does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this? Will clicker training work or will it be a waste of time? Shes very fixed and doesn't listen to anything we say when she has something / someone in her sights!

Any advice please?

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Instead of making the fence higher, why not add some fence at a 45 degree angle to stop her getting over it? Like this
    Google Image Result for http://www.beestonfencingcompany.co.uk/images/cat-proof-fencing-sideview691x922.JPG

I guess she will get better at listnening to you as she settles in, clicker training is a great idea.
    Have you thought about the 'watch' command, hold a treat infront of your eves and say 'watch', click and treat when she looks. Eventually you will be able to get her to look at you, hopefully help when she has something in her sights.

x

3. Malibugirl

Thanks PG, that is a great idea about the angled fence, I hadn't thought of that. I will definately look into that as it should certainly do the trick! Yes I think I will try the "watch" command. Shes pretty good when there are treats and has adapted very well to the clicker training after just one day!

Incidentally, can you tell me how I can upload photos on the gallery? Im not that bad with computers, but I cant seem to establish how to do it on this site. Thanks :D

4. Malibugirl

Ahhhh, forget that last question, Ive now figured it out and have uploaded some pics of her on the galleries page! :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice