Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lurcher jumping up

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by silly gilly, Aug 18, 2009.

1. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

Can all you dog trainers out there give me some advice please. I adopted an abandoned lurcher 4 months ago and as you can imagine he was in an awful state and very cowed down and nervous. He is now fighting fit and is the most loving beautiful dog but he does jump up on you when he is excited or pleased to see you. Obviously I have tried to discourage this as he can scratch with his claws, I cant shout at him as he goes back into his cowed state and I hate him regressing like that. I do gently push him down and say no and make him sit but he waits until you are not looking and does it again. As I am planning on fostering children I want to nip this in the bud now. Any advice would be appreciated. By the way he gets loads of excercise and when he calms down he just sleeps all day.:)

2. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

3. Colliepoodle

PS - doubtless someone will be along shortly to tell you that your Lurcher jumping up is a sign of "dominance", "wanting to be the boss" blah blah. It isn't - it's a very natural behaviour and means nothing more than he's pleased to see you and wants attention :)

4. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

Thats great. I do have a clicker but didnt know how to use it for this, he is very quick to learn and I will start tomorrow mornig when he gets the most excited. Thanks :)

5. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Brilliant video, Bella jumps up and I am really struggling to get her to stop so I may try clicker training now I understand how to do it :)

6. Poipin

Poipin PetForums Member

Hi Silly Gilly

As well as clicker training, you could try just simple body language.

Every time he jumps on you, turn your back on him and completely ignore him. Dont expect immediate results, because as you know yourself, if someone ignores you, you try to get their attention even more. But if you continue, that every time he jumps up, turn your back on him, fold your arms, do not speak to him, avoid looking at him, eventually he will get the message that jumping up is not rewarding.

You do mention that when he jumps you gently push him down and tell him to sit. This is fine, but it is also getting him the attention he was looking for in the first place.

Try ignoring the bad behaviour and praise the good.

Hope this helps

Poipin

7. Colliepoodle

Completely agree with this. In fact some people find that just the turning away is enough to convince the dog that jumping up just doesn't work any more.

If you watched the video, you'll have seen that the trainer did in fact combine the clicker training with turning away if the dog DID make a mistake, forget himself and jump up :)

ETA as said in the video though, it is harder to teach other people than it is to teach the dog ;)

You need to make sure that EVERYONE does the same thing when doggie jumps up - turn away and ignore until four are on the floor. Even one person rewarding the unwanted behaviour is enough for the dog to take a chance that it will work :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice