Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lurcher in hunting mode

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by metaldog, Nov 27, 2012.

1. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I went out of the house to walk the dogs and Shannow jumped the front garden fence & took off after a cat :eek: Then she recalled but there was another cat hiding under my car and she chased that one off at 90 mph as well. She caught up with both :yikes: but couldn't get them in her mouth because of her muzzle.

She's never done that before :eek:hmy: think I'll have her on a lead from house to car in future :eek:

2. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

:eek:

I sometimes let the boys go from car to house off lead :eek: (they usually get a small amount of food after a walk so they are pretty keen to get inside), but I'm doing it less and less as I think more about what could happen even in that short space of time... Oscar is very interested in cats and I've reached at the conclusion that it's worth the extra tiny bit of effort to put the lead on.

:lol: It's silly but after a long walk when you're just gagging for a cup of tea putting a lead on just seems like *such* a hassle! :rolleyes: Curse the "it won't happen to me" gremlin. :eek:

But as I say, I've got away with it and I'm going to stop pushing my luck - this thread has crystalised that thought I think so thank you!

3. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Fortunately the gate from the back yard leads directly to the boot of the car which is parked on the driveway so that isnt an issue for me. However, the dogs are reluctant to toilet on the gravel in the back yard so I take them on to the open plan side lawn. Jed has chased cats lots of times, sometimes I get complacent and he reminds me of why I need to keep the lead on him so now he does not go out there unless he has his flexi on - full stop. It only takes a car to come round the corner just at the moment he sees a cat (and there are some foolish drivers round here) and I could have a dead dog on my hands.
    Not worth the risk IMO.

Oddly, Flynn will chase cats if they are on the field but he will not venture off the grass, even when he came face to face with a cat cutting across our lawn just as I let them out! We have even had a fox walk nonchalantly past late one night, totally not bothered by us and Flynn just stood and grumbled. Had that been on the field he would have gone after it. Jessie doesnt even look at them but Jed is the problem.

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Flamin heck :eek: :eek:. I have to keep Kilo on the lead from car to house...t'is cat city here!

5. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Luckily where we live the traffic is minimal and goes very slow. There's a 20 MPH speed limit and speed bumps. I'm still putting her on a lead though.

I can't believe how calm I was.

It's cat city here too but she's never chased them before. She normally stands at the gate and then jumps straight in the back of the car. Don't know what happened today :confused:

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Thank goodness she was muzzled!! Sounds like the best idea to stick to a lead from now on!;)
    My lot go nuts for cats in certain circumstances. In the garden esp and it can cause fights from redirected aggression (mainly from Adam:(). When on a walk they will pull on the lead to try and get them and will chase them down when off lead....
    but all this cat killer behaviour and bravado only lasts whilst there is no chance that they will actually catch a cat!!:D If they find themselves within biting distance and the cat isnt running away then they will pretend they haven't seen it and in one incident where a cat threw a claw filled punch their way 2 of them let out the most girlie squeels ever!!

7. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Oh gosh metaldog! Scary stuff but at least she's safe now (and the cats!)

Molly's lurcher nature means I never let her off lead. She's gone through our gates before and ended up on the green outside barking at a cat in a tree. I lost her on Sunday in the woods. Our usual walk was waterlogged so we went on a tarmac path. Open fields one side, woods the other. She ignored her bestie friend Ty, me, Ty's owner, the balls, the fields.....and... went off into the woods. What felt like hours but was seconds really and I heard her barking, probably at a squirrel. Finally she came back. Little :devil:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice