Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lupi Harness

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by *WillsTillsBills*, Jul 27, 2009.

1. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if any of you have used a 'lupi' harness on your dogs? it is made by the same people who make the halti harness. I have read mostly good reviews, and a few rare ones saying about it not fitting properly. Has anyone had any experience with one of these?

As its a Bulldog it would be used on we can't use anything around the head..

Thankyou muchly!

Hannah

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I would advice against using the lupi if your bulldog really does pull, it 'can' cause terrible rubbing under the front legs!!

I would suggest the 'walkezee harness' (featured in this months 'your dog'
    dog training harnesses training harness for dogs dog training harness best dog harness dog harnesses dogs harness dog harness lead pet dog harness wholesale dog harness premier easy walk dog harness lupi dog harness halti dog harness dog harness uk d
    It is wider, and has a padded strap around the chest, which is not fixed, your lead attaches to both sides and gives control of the dog.
    I have used a walkezee on a large staff succesfully.

I would only use a lupi on lighter dogs due to how thin it is.

x

*WillsTillsBills* likes this.
  3. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

I dont know if they will suit a bull but I have the Hunter ones from zooplus, very well made, double layered, double padded and good lenght across the back not just above the shoulders :)

4. *WillsTillsBills*

I have just brought the one you suggested, I have looked at it, and it seems alot better than the other one, I did think the other one looked very thin, and considering he is a strong boy, would most definately end up causing him to be sore. I shall keep you updated on whether this is better, and the training will continue!!

Thankyou for your help :)

xx

5. *WillsTillsBills*

Thankyou :) if the walkezee one doesn't go to plan, I will be trying this one next! at the moment it can't be fun at all for him to walk, he is pulling so hard! Thankyou though! :)

6. LKelly

LKelly PetForums Junior

Hiya,
    I have a cross lab/rottie and he is extremely strong. The only thing I have found to work is the this gentle leader it seems to do the trick.

Keep us posted on how you get on :D

7. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I would never buy a harness for my dog, as it actually makes them want to pull even harder :D

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I was against harneses until I saw a 'walkezee' on a dog in a photo, and I trawled the internet for HOURS searching pics of 'harnes' 'no pull harness' etc until I found a pic of one! Lol I even emailed the magazine to see if they could tell me what it was.

The walkezee really isn't like a harness, its much better than the halti one because the front strap is not fixed so you have more control over the dog.
    Before I got it, Dixie would pull and pull. If she was on her extendy she would run to the end of it and pull.
    Now she walks nicely, and if she is on her extendy she actually walks at a leisurely pace :

Good luck with your dog :)

x

9. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I used a lupi on my golden retriever at one point. There are reviews which say it causes terrible rubbing etc etc which to be honest, if it is right for your dog it will not. With Rupert, he didn't care that it tightened when he pulled, so he would continue to pull and it wasn't right for us.

A friend's standard poodle though, pulled all his life, 8 years old, they got him a lupi and he goes perfectly in it, as soon as he felt the first little tightening of it he cottoned on, they've tried a choker collar etc and the lupi worked wonders.

IMO it depends how well your dog will respond, ie. if it pulls and the lupi tightens, will it continue to fight or will it 'click'?

10. lynn9994

lynn9994 PetForums Junior

I have used a lupi and tbh they are not ideal for a dog that pulls. I use Puppia harness's on all my dogs now they are much kinda and completely macine washable. They come in loads of colours and patterns.

Lynn

11. *WillsTillsBills*

Ahhh we got the harness today!! and we had the most enjoyable walk ever!! I think even our other 2 dogs enjoyed the fact that it wasn't a race! thankyou so much for telling me about it!! ahhh! peace of mind lol!

12. Lergy

Lergy PetForums Newbie

In my opinion there are only two animals that should wear a harness Husky dogs and Clydesdale horses it TEACHES them to pull. I hate to see harnesses on dogs and would burn the lot. It is a rediculous fashion accessory and serves no purpose in training a dog to walk nicely.

13. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

have you read the other posts? saying that it HAS helped? not a fashion accessory if it helps the dog from pulling, your right it doesnt train a dog but i can be a training aid if used correctly with praise

Anyway i was going to have a look at these as Zeb is a puller and normal harness make him pull harder (think its a malamute in him!) but hes over 30kg now so very big and strong not sure if it will work on a big lad like him?!

14. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Daynna I have used the Walkezee on a large staffi and a large staffi x and it worked great! :D

I was skeptical at first, as I had tried a halti harness on a rotti to no avail, the first time I put the Walkezee on Dixie it felt as if my arm was floating instead of being pulled out of its socket!
    I am going out with them shortly. I will take a video of Dixie on the extendy normally, and a video of her on the extendy with the Walkezee. I will also take a video of her on a short lead.

I liked the Walkezee so much I ordered another for Dave and having both dogs on it? Soo much easier! :D
    I do find that having the dog on a half choke or choke, my arm still gets tired from the correcting, but with the Walkezee, its not like that.

Shall be back soon with video :D

x

15. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

Do you think it would help with my akita x? he is about a year old and pulls so hard he can have me pulled over.

I have tried lots of harnesses and head collars but none seemed to work so I am hoping this will but obviously don't want to waste money if you think it wont work.

Thank you
    x

16. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Oscar hated the lupi i got him...
    He pulled me more with it on actually... :rolleyes:

I really dont think it will be strong enough for a bulldog though..

17. *WillsTillsBills*

Sorry you feel this way :(... It has made a huge difference to Wilbury, and its so much easier to train him... when he does pull, he looks back at me, and walks at the pace I'm going... so its been an amazing training aid! along with the praise, and treats he should be great on the lead in no time!

I've found it amazing guys, I thought it would work...but really not this well! before when Wilbury had a normal collar he was pulling so much he was nearly choking himself, now we can all walk with ease!! and I can walk him without being nearly bowled over! Thankyou :)

18. *WillsTillsBills*

Sorry post above is about the 'Walkeze Harness' :)

19. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Glad I could reccomend something that works :D

And all because a random picture in a magazine of a dalmation wearing one! You can't imagine how frustrated I was, after thingking 'that harness looks great' and not being able to find it! Lol I looked and looked on pics on google for hours, not just one day, but a few days! Lol. But I eventually found it :D

x

20. *WillsTillsBills*

Now thats dedication!! lol, we're going to get our other Bulldog (Tilly) one aswel! have the videos of yours gone up? if so where do I look? x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice