Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lungworm

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sleeping_Lion, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Please make sure you treat your dogs for lungworm, this is fast becoming a serious problem in the UK with dogs affected all over the country. I swap worming products once a year to ensure my dogs have been treated for pretty much everything, and it also helps prevent parasites building up a resistance to any one treatment.

Lungworms can be picked up from dogs eating snails and slugs, but also from their trail, for example, if a slug/snail goes across a dogs water bowl. It can also be picked up from your dog eating the faeces of another host animal, fox poo, sheep poo etc. Don't be complacent, this is a killer so make sure you treat your dog, and other pets/animals effectively to guard against it.

I nicked this list off a friend of mine which gives a brief run down of the different treatments available, and what/how they are effective:

Drontal Plus will cover all intestinal worms found here in the UK, but does not touch Heart/Lung worms, or anything else such as ticks or fleas.

It appears Panacur is fine for Round worms and Tape worms. It will eliminate Lungworm, but cannot be used as a preventative. To get rid of Lungworm it takes at least a week's course rather than a single dose.

Milbemax Like Panacur is a broad spectrum wormer which can also be used as a preventative for Lungworm, in normal doses. But again like Panacur needs high doses if the worm has become established. Milbemax should NEVER be used for Collie breeds, and can be a problem with other breeds, so needs monitoring (as any medication should be.)

Advocate can be used as a cure, and is again a broad spectrum wormer and also controls fleas, ear mites sarcoptic mange and demodicosis, but to my knowledge does not touch Ticks or I think Tape worms.

Frontline controls fleas and ticks but does not touch worms.

Final note, read up on the products you are using, some are less effective than others. You may need a veterinary prescription to order online, your vet should issue these without any problems, without charge or for a small charge only. If not, shop around for a different vet, and compare prices of the different products. The stuff off the shelf at any pet store is ineffective against pretty much everything.

Natural foods that help guard against infestation include garlic, pineapple, and to a lesser extent, mint, fenugreek and turmeric.

Edited to remove the part about Advocate being used as a preventative, as, although it is stated as being a preventative on several sources, it isn't stated as such on Bayer's own website, nor is it listed as being a preventative treatment with the list of active ingredients. If in doubt, make sure you seek advice from your vet in the first instance.

#1 Sleeping_Lion, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Bayer Animal Health: Welcome to Advocate®/Advantage multi®

This is the information on Advocate

It prevents heartworm, treats lungworm

3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

This is why I'm having trouble what does what for what etc. My vet charges £10 for a prescription buy I'm not sure how many advocates you can buy at a time. Works out no cheaper though. My last vet said don't bother re lungworm unless you know your dog eats soil or slugs etc but I will ask my new one next week.

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

As long as you're using Advocate at least once a year, and making sure you use one of the other wormers like Panacur that is a broad spectrum treatment and covers the rest of the worms/parasites, along with an appropriate flea/tick treatment if necessary, you should be fine. I'm just trying to raise awareness really that this is becoming more and more of a problem in the UK.

6. GoldenShadow

Yeah I think wormer wise I would stick with drontal as Rupert is used to that whereas the Milbemax ones are so small and fiddly I kept dropping Milo's and I'm more likely to lose them :rolleyes:

Plus being 25kg+ dogs you need two tablets which costs at least a tenna per dog anyway, would rather fork out on the spot ons I *think*.

7. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

does advocate only do upto 40kg weight for dogs?

8. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Actually no

Heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) is a parasitic roundworm spread from host to host via mosquito bite. Although the infection starts in the heart, it does spread to the lungs and create similar symptoms as lungworm. But the parasites live in the heart.

Lungworm (Oslerus osleri) - the parasites live in the lungs and it ingested into the host through an infected larvae (i.e. eating a slug/animal poo that's infected.)

Here you go Heart / Lung Worm - Nitroline Blues
    ;)

Therefore Advocate PREVENTS Heartworm, TREATS lungworm.

#8 Helbo, Apr 15, 2011
  9. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I think (don't know so if you're worried I'd ask your vet and not rely on internet forum posts) that the only way to prevent lungworm is to watch your dog and make sure they don't eat anything that could contain the infected larvae.

If you think they have, then using advocate may help to treat the infection, but it won't prevent your dog from getting it. Therefore, if your dog eats a slug i'd call your vet for advice.

I realise this thread is trying to raise awareness of a terrible disease, but honestly, if you're worried - ask your vet. You'll get more accurate information than online.

10. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I use Advocate monthly to prevent lungworm as Ollie can tend to eat snails, so it's not worth the risk.

11. GoldenShadow

Maybe this is why my old vet said don't bother unless you see them eating soil/slugs snails or strongly suspect they are...

12. rona

rona Guest

Ehem

Heart worm: Dirofilaria immitis, spread by mosquitoes

Lung worm: Angiostrongylus vasorum spread by slugs and snails.

As Bayer is a multi national company, I think they may mean true heartworm and not French heartworm

13. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Bayer' (the makers of advocate) own website states advocate treats lungworm, it does not prevent it

Please don't get lulled into a false sense of security. Even treating with advocate you need to be on the lookout for lungworm symptoms between tablets.

14. GoldenShadow

Is Milbemax the same re lungworm? I think it is but I get so confused :(

Can I ask what you flea/worm with?

15. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Sleeping_Lion - I know you're intentions were good, but you need to make sure the information you're spreading is accurate before you post online.

Lungworm is terrible and on the rise this time of year

Advocate is a good multi-treatment for dogs

But it does not PREVENT lungworm. It may be something your vet gives you to treat the early stages but you should ask your vets advice if you suspect lungworm.

16. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

blade eats grass and soil off our garden.
    do u think i should be treating him with advocate?

17. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I'd let Bayer know then that they've got it wrong ;)

What is lungworm? Angiostrongylus vasorum (also known as French Heartworm)

Helbo, this was meant to be a helpful post after reading (worryingly) about a few dogs that have been affected, not a slanging match about just how many parasitic varieties I can name. If you have issue with what I've posted a slightly more helpful attitude would have been appreciated, or a pm, and not the condescending lecture I seem to have been given ;)

Sometimes I wonder why I bother :rolleyes:

Goldenshadow, I would use Advocate once a year and not just rely on Drontal. Parasites can and do build up a resistance to treatments, I swap over once a year to use another wormer/flea/tick treatment, to try and cover all the bases and stop the local nasties building up resistance to any one kind of treatment.

18. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I use Drontal Plus for worming Charlie

I give Charlie a crushed clove of garlic in his food twice a week. This is something I'm trying this summer as I'd prefer not to put too many chemicals in/on my dog if I can help it.

If I were going camping or anything I'd probably use frontline spot-on

19. rona

rona Guest

Does advocate treat Oslerus osler it says in the literature Angiostrongylus vasorum? :confused:

http://www.ivis.org/advances/Parasit_Bowman/ddb_resp2/ivis.pdf
    The life cycle of Oslerus osleri has been shown to be direct. Dogs are probably commonly infected as puppies
    by the transmission of larvae in sputum by the licking and cleaning of the mother or through regurgitated food

20. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I was not meaning to seem unhelpful or start a slanging match, as you put it. It's your replies to me that have been argumentative and more personal than they should have been in my opinion. I was only trying to help people get the correct information.

But Heartworm and Lungworm (aka French Heartworm) ARE different parasites.

Bayer don't have it wrong - as you're argumentative reply states. They are right. Thats an accurate description of lungworm no doubt, and lungworm is also knows as french heartworm, but thats different to HEARTWORM.

I said in my posts that your intentions were good and that this thread was meant to be helpful, I was just trying to make it more accurate.

I'll repeat, Advocate prevents heartworm, treats lungworm. If they weren't different Bayer wouldn't discuss them both surely.

#20 Helbo, Apr 15, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice