Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lung worm info from my vet

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rona, Jun 30, 2010.

1. rona

rona Guest

I had a really interesting chat with my vet today about lung worm/French heartworm.
    Apparently Milbemax is not a preventative for French Heartworm, I have researched this and she is correct. It does treat but does not have any preventative uses
    Milbemax® (Milbemycin Oxime, Praziquantel) - Novartis Animal Health Inc.

http://www.ivis.org/advances/Parasit_Bowman/conboy_angiostrongylosis/ivis.pdf

Notice the difference in type
    French Heartworm: Angiostrongylus vasorum,
    Heartworm: Dirofilaria immitis

Heartworm does not exist in this country at the moment.

She also said that the drug companies have been trying to prove that the French heartworm is present in the slime of slugs and snails, but as yet they have not been able to find any.
    The biggest risk of a dog contracting French heartworm is through ingesting fox faeces and whole slugs and snails.
    Advocate is the only licensed preventive of French Heartworm.

#1 rona, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2010
  2. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Thats interesting Rona, thanks

3. MontyA

MontyA PetForums Member

Thanks for that- I'm using Advocate. Just as well, Monty has been known to eat slugs and snails before I've a chance to stop him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice