Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lung Worm Advice Please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lisa0307, Jan 22, 2012.

1. lisa0307

lisa0307 PetForums VIP

Can anyone with Lung Worm experience advise me please.
    My vet is wanting us to have our dog treated with Lung Worm medication because he says there is a lot of it around and because our dog is a bit of a scavenger he's concerned that he may be a carrier.
    Now, we're not in to putting medications in to our dog unless he's unwell and wondered if this is really necessary.
    We've been told very little about Lung Worm...only that the treatment is done via a spot on, on the back of the neck and has to be continued for a while...that it can cause a bald spot of hair that may not grow back and that there isn't a good enough test to predict whether a dog is a carrier or not.
    We're unsure what to do and really need help and advice. Thanks. :confused:

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I'm in the same position as you, I hate these spot ons.
    I think you have to way up the risks, my boy eats loads of grass and is a bit of a scavenger, so I've given in and treat him. :eek: Not as regularly as advised but regularly.

The trouble with lung worm is by the time you see symptoms, a lot of damage can already have been done :(

You could keep them to non life threatening levels by using Panacur I believe

3. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

i don't like advocate. i think it is too intensive for a preventative worming program. I would prefer to use Panacur as a regular worming treatment (only worm once every 3 months), whereas Advocate is monthly. I believe Advocate should only be used as a treatment once Lungworm is diagnosed.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

As far as I know but you would need to double check on this one, The spot ons I bellieve are classed as a preventative. Panacur paste that is also effective on round worm some forms of tapeworm and giardia protozoa parasite infection, is also an actual treatment for Lungworm, if I remember correctly the treatment for lung worm you have to do a prolonged course for, longer then just for intestinal worms.

6. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

For lungworm Panacur is given once daily for seven days, a one off dose is useless.
    There is no licensed medical product to prevent lungworm, but advocate applied monthly can help prevent the establishment of the infection.

7. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

We just thought our dog had lungworm, he's treated monthly with Stronghold, but was given a 7 day course of Panacur instead, and a poop sample sent off to the labs for confirmation. It was not Lungworm, still don't know why he's coughing so further tests are being carried out on Tuesday, but I think a Lab test is also needed to confirm one way or another.

8. TheFredChallenge

TheFredChallenge PetForums Member

I would definitely treat. I think I'd go for the 3 monthly option. Not a nice thing for them to get....and I too would rather the prevention rather than having to cure a poorly dog (and more than likely) a large vet bill.

9. YellowLab

YellowLab PetForums Senior

One of my labs had lungworm. This is how we noticed it: She was a VERY high energy lab of working strain and would run and run all day. Over a period of about 2 weeks we noticed that after literally 2-3 mins of fairly intense running she would have extremely laboured and very loud, raspy panting. She would then start coughing. We took her in to the vets and they did a chest x-ray and there was already large amounts of grey area in her lungs which the vet said she was 99% certain was the cause of lungworm.

She had the course of panacur and we do treat regularly with advocate with Yogi now after that scare.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice