Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Luna's walk - terribleand great

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sequeena, May 31, 2010.

1. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I've just got back from walking all 3 of my loonies. We wandered down to the pub and sat underneath the parasols in the beer garden (dogs has a large bowl of water) and gave them a long run.

I don't know what got into Luna but she started barking at EVERYONE. Not one or two barks full on growling and barking :( I tried everything. Walking her away, treating her when she DIDN'T bark and ignoring her when she did. I gave a few people some treats to give her and she didn't want to know.

I became more and more distressed and I ended up shouting at her and at one point held her head against me (so she couldn't see them). I know I shouldn't have done it and I regret it but I didn't know what else to do.

Everyone was giving me horrible looks and it was just terrible :crying:

Good news though. On the way home a little black pup got free of its garden and came running up to us (looked like a black daschund but with long ears like a basset hound. Dunno if it's a breed?). I thought aw crap here we go but bless Luna she gave the dog a good sniff and licked the top of her head!

My face = :eek6:

2. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

How old is Luna now?

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Ten months

4. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Her guard instinct is obviously kicking in. I would take her to lots of places on her own so you don't have to worry about your other dogs, and ask people to toss treats in her direction.

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My other dogs were completely fine but I will walk her alone much more. It's just so damn frustrating!! I know it's not her fault but I'm doing everything I can and it feels like she's taking the piss!

6. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Sorry to hear you had a stressful walk (can't offer any advice)
    But good to hear how gentle she was with the puppy :thumbup:

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Ah the pup was lovely :D So so cute and so friendly!

8. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

sounds like she's starting to test her boundries to see what she can get away with the cheeky madame lol

Im with luvmydogs, all you can do is keep up the good job and she will come to understand with a bit of time :)

Whenever Shorty is pushing her luck i keep saying to myself "keep calm and carry on", people walking past me must think im nuts! :lol:

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

It drives me nuts. I'm so used to Sky being the silent dog that I'm always shocked by Luna's barking :lol:

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

If its any concilation Adam is the same way. I cant stop and sit down in a park coz he gets very bossy about the section of park he has claimed and starts barking at anyone who comes along (and once bit a Rottweiler on the bum!!:eek:). Its easier just to keep walking and not let him start guarding.
    Mind you, people arent scared when he does it thety just think Im a Paris Hilton type idiot!!LOL I expect Luna can be abit intimidating.;)

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Yep sadly Luna gives people a hell of a shock when she barks :(

12. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

so does marley, and he is scared of everything so will often bark at it then hide behind my legs :eek:

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Haha what a dafty!!

I even considered a bark collar (spray) :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice