UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what happened, I was sat on the floor and she wanted to cuddle so she sat in between my legs, I had my arms round her chest like usual and my head against the back of her neck.

Next thing I know she turned her head and tried to bite my face :crying:

I don't know what set it off and I don't know what to do. Can someone please help!!!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you ok! god i wish there was a way i could help but i have no clue
I'm fine, she didn't get me. I didn't shout at her, just sent her away and now she's laying on the settee asleep!!

I didn't want to react because I don't want to make her worse but I don't know what I should do now... I'm still sat on the floor in shock and Cotton is curled up at my side.

This is the first time ever she's done this and I haven't a clue what set her off. She came to ME. She's used to me resting my head on her ... she lays with me in bed ffs!! :(

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Maybe she dozed off, got bitten by something or pinched by her collar (if she was wearing one) and was woken up by that and lost her bearings a bit and didnt realise it was you there when she went for you.

Its impossible to know why she did it, but it doesnt necessarily have to be an aggressive reaction, dogs will snap to tell other dogs to go away or if they hurt them so possibly she was reacting to something else or you unknowingly pinched her or something. Unless she does it again I wouldnt dwell on it.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I really dont know dear im glad your are ok well apart from the shock...... maybe she got a fright and thought you were someone bad i really dont have a clue.

I am always weary of putting my head down to any dog even bobby as ive seen my brother be attacked but thats diff.

maybe give her her space keep her out the room for the night if you can just incase something is wrong..

*Kara*

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe she dozed off, got bitten by something or pinched by her collar (if she was wearing one) and was woken up by that and lost her bearings a bit and didnt realise it was you there when she went for you.

Its impossible to know why she did it, but it doesnt necessarily have to be an aggressive reaction, dogs will snap to tell other dogs to go away or if they hurt them so possibly she was reacting to something else or you unknowingly pinched her or something. Unless she does it again I wouldnt dwell on it.
I really dont know dear im glad your are ok well apart from the shock...... maybe she got a fright and thought you were someone bad i really dont have a clue.

I am always weary of putting my head down to any dog even bobby as ive seen my brother be attacked but thats diff.

maybe give her her space keep her out the room for the night if you can just incase something is wrong..

*Kara*
Thank you both x

She was wide awake and isn't wearing a collar. I have no idea what triggered it... she seems fine now but I'm wary to be near her. I know it sounds terrible but I can't right now as I can't believe what's happened :(

I'm going to book her in at the vets for a check up even though she only went a few months ago. She's fine in herself, behaving normally and not showing any signs of illness.

God what a fright :(

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I guess its better to be safe than sorry if there is no trigger that you can pin point.....

Give you both space for now give you time to calm down have a cuppa or summit and relax then off to bed to sleep with or without her your choice.

*Kara*

hoping its a mistaken one off

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess its better to be safe than sorry if there is no trigger that you can pin point.....

Give you both space for now give you time to calm down have a cuppa or summit and relax then off to bed to sleep with or without her your choice.

*Kara*

hoping its a mistaken one off
I'm about to put her in her crate and try and get some sleep. Hopefully things will be better in the morning.

I don't think she's human aggressive. Surely it would have come out by now. God I hope not I don't even know how to begin to help her with that. I'm having a bad enough time with her dog aggression :(

·
Banned
19,309 Posts
there IS an involuntary bite-reaction to blowing in their ear - the bite is involuntary, but the dog can PULL the punch -
* if there is enuf distance to realize whats happening, the dog can STOP the bite * they cannot prevent the open-mouth
bite-gape + swing of the head, tho.

if the dogs face is too-close to the perp, theres no time to STOP -
they may be able to moderate the bite, but they cannot halt it; its not deliberate -
its automatic, like our human flinch-response to a hot surface, the spine decides, not the brain;
by the time U realize the surface was hot, its over :eek: similarly, the dog has already bitten when they realize U blew in their ear :(

see the Handbooks I thru III of * stephen lindsay *, Dog-training and Behavior - i think its in Vol I
hopefully this was just an accident - be very aware of where Ur NOSE + MOUTH are, when U are near her face or ears.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Have you watched the youtube link posted on another thread about knowing your dogs facial expressions?

Well in that clip there is a picture that says you should never put your arms around your dog from the back and rest your head on them when they are sitting. I think it makes them feel afraid. Might be worth a look.

Hope it's just a knee jerk reaction, and not aggression xx.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys ... I guess I just went about it the wrong way. It's really strange though as I often hug her like that, it's much more comfortable for me as she's such a great big lump.

Terry I wasn't anywhere near her ear but you could be right. As her reaction was so sudden I might have accidentally blown against her by accident. Perhaps not in her ear but close enough for her to think "oh no you don't!!"

I'll approach her differently from now on and see what happens.

Aurelia no I haven't seen the thread, typically what I've always done is wrong :lol:

·
Banned
19,309 Posts
theres also always the possibility of unknown pain -
sinus infection? cracked tooth? ear-pressure from fluid?

maybe she has a bruise from rough play with the other dogs? :huh:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
theres also always the possibility of unknown pain -
sinus infection? cracked tooth? ear-pressure from fluid?

maybe she has a bruise from rough play with the other dogs? :huh:
Luna? Bruise? Luna is the bruiser! :lol:

In all seriousness I'm making her an appointment with the vet, it'll probs be for this afternoon as I usually get an appointment the same day I phone up.

She's not changed in herself, still the same old Luna but I'd like to check her over just in case.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Sequeena,

The same thing happened to me a few years ago with my boxer. I did the same as you and hugged him from behind. He turned and tried to bite my face (missed thankfully). Someone told me that you should never position yourself like this with your dog as it is a domineering position and less submisive dogs may not tolerate it (not sure if this is true though).

Joanne

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Hey babes, just seen this, how are things today, have you got an appointment at the vets sweetheart, never hurts to check.
Dalton air snapped and growled at me a while back, when i touched his paws, he has a grass pollen reaction, D never growls or snaps at me EVER..
Anyway it could be something that you havent noticed if this makes sense.
Turns out D's paws were slightly swollen, they were not red he wasnt licking them or anything
xx

G

·
my cousins cross breed bit her chin (she had to have 3 stitches) when she cuddled him from behind, he'd never showed any aggression before or after that incident, she was obviously more careful after that happened:) so hopefully this will be just a one off for you aswell:)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
hi,

i would check her legs....at that age the cartilage is very "sensitive" and even small unnatural movements can cause pain...it happened to me with my pups too when putting the harness on (hugging from behind, move the paws in a certain way or putting pressure on the wrong joint...etc...)...simply: the wrong movement, cause unexpected pain or pressure, and they turn...it's a reaction with no actual bite as they realised what is happening. It's very common with pups and a lot less common with adults ... the movement is basically the same of a dog telling onther dog off for something like a behaviour ) they don;t like. if you stand your ground (i.e. don;t make a fuss and ignore the reaction) is nothing to be worried about.

but i guess that a visit to the vet will put your mind at rest...

good luck

best
D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.