Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lump....

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by r_neupert, Jul 16, 2009.

1. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

:eek:

Just found a squidgy lump on Indy... sure there's one word which would summarise it's location, but it's on her chest - inbetween her neck and the top of her legs.

It moves, doesn't seem painful, ball like, but doesn't feel like it's a floating lump, feels like it's attached somewhere...

She was spayed last week... not sure if that is relevant. I am of course going to phone the vets tomorrow, but wondering whether anyone can hazard a guess at what this could possibly be, so i can prepare for the worst/see a light at the end of the tunnel.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is it on on her sternum? The is something called the xiphoid process, which is the front of the ribcage. Could it be this that you are feeling?

Some dogs are prone to fatty lumps, but i think yours is a little too young for that.

Oops. It's the manubrium, not the xiphoid process. I was back to front.

Cheers Gesic :D

#2 Nonnie, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  3. r_neupert

It's not on her undercarriage... literally sits just underneath her collar...

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Yes thats where it is. Not underneath. Right on the front of the chest.

[​IMG]

If you look at this pic, its called the pro sternum.

#4 Nonnie, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  5. r_neupert

It's slightly located to the right of the centre, and doesn't appear to be a matching one on the other

6. r_neupert

Yep there... thanks, knew there would be a single word to explain it!!

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I cant say 100% if thats what it is. Buts its a possibility.

8. r_neupert

Had a quick google - the only thing i'd say is that it seems like a mass rather than a bone... not sure if the cartilidge feels quite like that? Feels like a smooshy ball

9. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

One of my dogs has a lump just as you describe. Also on his chest, squishy, oval shaped. He is a good deal older than your dog though. They did an aspiration and it was a lipoma which wasn't anything to worry about.

Hope the vets goes well and there is nothing to be concerned about.

10. rona

rona Guest

Nonnie, isn't there a gland there?
    I'm sure that my very first dog had something like this and the vet said it was a swollen gland.
    It was so long ago I can't remember that well, I just know it wasn't anything to worry about

11. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Hi ya, just to say what you are describing sounds to me like it could be an injection site maybe?? When dogs are spayed they are usually injected with antibiotics and this can cause a swelling around the neck where it is given. They usually take a couple of weeks to go away completely! ;):D

12. r_neupert

She has a shaved paw where i guess there was a drip in - would they stick her somewhere else then? Just to add it's a rather sizeable lump, probably 2 inches in diameter. My OH just told me he noticed that 2 days ago..... MEN!!!

Ok currently googling:
    Hernias
    Xiphoid
    Glands
    Infected injections sites!!

13. r_neupert

Would the pro sternum area be a usual injection site? I'm kind of hoping this is the answer as it has come up very quickly and around the time she's been medically meddled with!

14. rona

rona Guest

It's very unlikely to be this, injections are usually in the back of the neck and drips etc usually in the leg

15. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

It could be due to the injection it also sounds like a fatty lump my dog had one exactly the same location and just felt how you described and it was a fatty lump the vet never advised to have it removed unless it grew in size it never did he had it for most of his life.

16. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

occasionally injections are given in that area. if she was in getting speyed then she would be lying on her back in a cradle, if given injection during op then it could be the spot they chose, just needs to be under skin doesnt matter where.
    I pref bak of neck as more loose skin.
    They also have 2 lymph nodes there (pre scapula lymph nodes) they can become slightly enlarged if infection is present. either way i would pop down to vet and get ckd to be safe. Desribing lumps on here can easily lead to confusion its so much safer and more accurate to physically examine them and put ur mind at rest.

17. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

if it is near the collar could it not also be something simple such as a grass seed that has been pushed under the skin by the collar and caused a slight abscess, x

18. Could be nothing more then a fatty tissue! My advise would be to see your vet, he would tell you whether he felt a biopsy is needed, we found one on our male when he was three! he just told us to keep out eye on it and see if it changed sizE, He is now eight and it has never altered!

Also - when dogs are out of sorts the nearest gland oftens swells! I am guessing this is not a gland thoughand a definate lump!. Seriously - I would ask my vet!
    DT

19. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Yes there are two lymph nodes either side, shown on this pic of a rather fat dog. Two under the jaw, and two just infront of the shoulder.

[​IMG]

I think like suggested, it would be best to have the dog looked at.

r_neupert likes this.
  20. r_neupert

Popped into the vets this morning, and a nurse quickly checked her over to see if it would be a result of the operation, and she said they wouldn't have injected her there, and to make an appointment with the vet. So a long weekend it'll be! Have given her a piriton for safe measure to see if it's a reaction to a bug bite as she recently had a big swelling from a bug bite - can only live in hope right? So we'll see if that makes a difference - it doesn't seem to have grown or shrunk though. Just seems weird how quickly it has appeared.

Thanks for your help Nonnie, the location seems to be around the Prescapular area (slightly located towards the front though). Indy seems to be in and out the vet like a yo-yo at the minute, split claw, carpet eating, getting spayed, now odd lumps... now i thought i was accident prone...!

#20 r_neupert, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice