Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

lump on healing wound

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by MeganLB, Mar 25, 2017.

1. MeganLB

MeganLB PetForums Junior

Mum and Dad had the dog yesterday while I was at work, I had a meal, so when I got home (later than normal) they told me pip has a lump - the lump is on her wound - it is 19 days since being spayed.
    Not 100% sure where this has come from. It was perfect before I went to work. It hasn't grown since last night, it doesn't seem sore at all, she seems fine,
    Does anybody know what this could be? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Are those dissolvable stitches? it could be that the suture material is irritating the wound.

Happy Paws2 and Sled dog hotel like this.
  3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I was wondering about dissolvable stitches or not as 19 days is a long time for removable stitches to be left in.

My dog had dissolvable ones and they seemed to vanish on their own accord long before 19 days. No irritation either

Happy Paws2 and Sled dog hotel like this.
  4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Hard to see inn the photo, but it looks very red that end of the suture line which although it is a good while since the surgery it makes me wonder if there could be some infection there, redness and swelling can be an indicator there is infection, does the area seem hot or hotter then the surrounding area too that's often another sign along with swelling and redness that there is infection.

Other possibilities could be that the stiches are pulling and beginning to irritate and really make it sore causing the swelling. Normally stiches would be removed by about 12/14 days, are they supposed to be dissolvable ones? In my experience of dissolvable dog and human they often don't dissolve and start to really pull and irritate badly and can get very sore, some dogs and humans can get an allergic response to suture material too, so that may even be whats happened and caused the swelling, if its really irritating her she might have been having a go at the area, if its uncomfortable she is more likely too.

You can get something called a seroma sometimes form after surgery at the operation site too, which is a swelling or lump filled with serous fluid, they can appear for quite a while after surgery, and sometimes need to be drained.

It does look quite red an angry and as there are a variety of things it might possibly be caused by, I would pop her back to the vets and let them have a look.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I too would be concerned there is a bit of infection so maybe a check at the vet to be sure?

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I think you should have her checked by your vet. Looks rather sore to me.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  7. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

A suture reaction has to be top of the list.

They look like Vicryl, which is dissolvable but can be removed if necessary.

MontyMaude likes this.
  8. MeganLB

MeganLB PetForums Junior

Yes they are meant to be dissolvable, it looks a little more red now, but I don't know if that's from her playing. I'll monitor it tomorrow, she seems fine in herself and doesn't appear to be in any pain or discomfort, I will call the vets on Monday morning, had myself so worried today . I

9. MeganLB

MeganLB PetForums Junior

Yes they are meant to be dissolvable, it looks a little more red now, but I don't know if that's from her playing. I'll monitor it tomorrow, she seems fine in herself and doesn't appear to be in any pain or discomfort, I will call the vets on Monday morning, had myself so worried today .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice