Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lump on goldfish tail

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Lynn09, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Lynn09

Lynn09 PetForums Newbie

Hi

I’m new to this site but in need of advice/experience.

Our goldfish is 16 and a half years and has a lump that is growing the last few weeks. It started out as a curled edge to tail a few months ago but has bloomed lately. She is in a 180l tank and has 1% aquarium salt at present.

Out exotics vet has looked at videos and says he can remove lump next week. He has removed lumps on goldfish before.

She is feeding and acting normal and worried after never being transported (aside from many upgrades over the years), it will be stressful or worse. Do I leave it and see or go for op? Is there any remedies I should try?

She used to be orange but 2 years ago lost colour and now white.

Attached Files:

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

In my opinion, I think it's worth having it removed. She could have four or more years left. Since it's growing, sooner or later it'll affect her ability to swim. By then, it could be too big to remove, and your only option will be euthanasia. Transport her in a dark bucket, with a towel over the top to keep it even darker, and to stop her from jumping. She'll be fine.

And hang on to that vet! Sounds like he's worth his weight in solid gold!

Welcome to the forum, by the way. :)

magpie likes this.
  3. Lynn09

Lynn09 PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for responding. Putting it that way makes sense as I do worry it will keep growing now and due to her age getting things done earlier will be better.

We have a brilliant exotics vet who originally done wonders when our guinea pigs needed help and he has operated on fish before with lumps.

I will probably use the bucket I use for water changes as she is a fair size after many upgrades of tanks over the years haha

Out of curiosity, how long can goldfish live for? I’ve heard different life spans like 20 or even 25 - 30 years?

Thank you again ☺️

LinznMilly likes this.
  4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup, they can live for up to 30 years.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice