Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lump on dog update. So upset.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by MaisieD, Jul 28, 2020.

1. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

Hello,

I posted last year about finding lumps on both my girls on the same day. My border terrier is 11 and her lump has never grown it’s stayed small but my 10 year old shihtzu hers that was marble size is now about sprout size a year on and she grew a second one which is maybe half the size. Our vet said he will just check our shihtzu every 6 months but his advice and the second opinion we got was to leave them. Due to her age he said it would be a major operation and more likely would grow. I’ve worried everyone since I’ve done wrong by her and let her down.

I’ve been unwell recently with my CFS/ME so I hadn’t checked her lumps for a few weeks as hubby’s been running the house and it’s me who keeps tabs on their growth as he can’t remember a thing lol. I was surprised today that it was now sprout size so it’s grown a little in a few weeks. I burst into tear and I’ve cried all afternoon. She’s totally fine in herself, hates me touching them so she cuddled up on me and we had a cuddle as I cried. ASI cuddles her I noticed a small lump maybe the size of a smartie sized sweet, under the skin like a fatty lump. You can see it when you part the hair and on the outside of it it’s a little crusty on the outer skin, just down one side of the round lump. I burst into tears again, terrified it has even cancer after all and this is a lump related to those she has underneath her.

Last summer I found really difficult and I’m not ashamed to admit it flared my anxiety and depression when I got told my girls had mammary tunoirs. I went downhill for about 2 months crying every day and feeling I’d let them both down not having them spayed (I hate myself enough I really do so please don’t flame me). They’re so loved and always have been. Both eat a good diet, nice walks daily and we just adore them.

My husband said Lolas in the groomers Thursday so if we can get her in the vet Friday or Saturday for a routine lump check we will and while there show what we found on her neck/back area. We’re shielding due to my health issues so I’m not sure how safe it is for him to go but we will see what the vet suggests. We’re shielding here until August 16th.

I can’t stop crying today feeling morbid and worried she won’t have much time. My husband said she is perfectly well in herself, normal happy active Lola and the vet said she could have years until they become large that it’s an issue bothering her but I can’t shake it off we’ve left her with them and I really do hate myself. Have I done wrong by her? Are they really large if the original is now sprout size and the other is like 2 small marbles fused together in the middle. I found the first last July and the second about November time. At the time they were small to medium marble size.

You were all so kind to me last year. I’ve come here for support because I am so upset today and can’t stop crying worried I’ve done wrong by her and scared about this new small lump I’ve found on her neck/top of back. I’m terrified her lumps will grow fast underneath and she won’t have long. I can’t cope with losing my pets, I’m dreading it so much. Sorry this is all so negative. I’ve no one to talk to about it

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

As we said before a lot of unspayed bitches have mammary tumours. If they are still small they are nothing to worry about. What has the vet said the other lumps are . A lot of older dogs are covered in them, they are usually cysts but sometimes little fatty lumps. Again nothing much to worry about unless they get really big and impede the dog in some way. Stop worrying, get them checked by the vet every 6 months if you are concerned but honestly, just forget about them unless they start to cause a problem.

MaisieD likes this.
  3. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

Thanks Blitz.

We had her checked when we found them last July then again later last year when we found the second. Both gets opinion was too leave them, not test or remove. Is this normal???

The little lump I’ve found on her neck/top of back I only found today. Hoping to get in with the vet later this week after her groom so she looks a bit tidier. Been hard getting in with our groomer as we’ve been shielding. She was groomed end of May and has grown into a fluff ball already lol.

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Yes, it is quite normal and you obviously have a very sensible vet. You do not want to interfere with small tumours that are causing no problems. It is not like in people where a breast tumour is an emergency. A bitch is not going to live long enough to get a major problem and they can be removed if they start to grow too large or look like bursting.

MaisieD and SusieRainbow like this.
  5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with what @Blitz says.
    I remember you from last year , I think I told you about my little dachshund Tango? She had lumps all up her right sde of mammary tissue which we monitored for a year. Then one started to grow and change shape so we got it removed along wth the other lumps. She was 13 yrs at the time and unspayed. Poor little thing had a slow and painful recovery with stitches all the way up her tummy and I promised her no more. 2 of the lumps were reported to be cancerous.
    A year later she developed metritis after a season so had an urgent spay which she recovered from quickly. A few months after that more lumps appeared but we said no more, my vet said even if they were cancerous she couldn't operate as there wasn't enough viable skin to close the wounds. They didn't bother her at all, she was the happiest little dog alive, and she died age 15 of heart failure.

6. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

Ok, thank you. So you’d say sprout size (hubby said it feels like a sprout and the second one is like 2 marbles stuck together shape and size wise) are still small sized?
    Lolas 10 now and I worry she will deteriorate because of this but my friends dog had a mammary tumour and developed a few but she lived 4 more years and in the end died of old age. She was a lab.
    Is it normal for them to develop more than 1?

7. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

Oh I’m sorry, poor girl. We’re hers bigger than sprout size?
    My vet said it’s best not to remove as more will grow and it’s unfair to her. I was just worried we had done the wrong thing not removing them and felt terrible

I really do appreciate you both replying to me. You’ve made me feel a little less upset. I just hope this new little lump on her upper back is nothing to worry about. It’s only small like a smartie size under the skin but had a small amount of crusting on one side of it on the outer skin. Strange. I really hope it’s nothing sinister.

8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Tango did have a lttle lump like that between her shoulder and neck before the mammary tumours, it just disappeared.
    It really is best to leave well alone, surgery is so traumatic and I wouldn't go for it again. The urgent spay was different, it improved her life qualty so much.
    I'm glad I've helped a bit.

MaisieD likes this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

The crusty lump is probably a cyst and it will disappear next week or next year or sometime never! They are fairly normal. One of my dogs got one that grew and grew for a couple of years then one day I stroked her and it had gone. She has loads that come and go and stay and my other dog got her first one a few weeks ago. The joys of having two older dogs.

MaisieD likes this.
  10. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

Thank you. It helps to hear I’m doing right not operating. A friend of mine thinks it’s bad I’m leaving them. Her dog is 6 and had 2 mammary tumours and she got them removed recently. I guess to her I seem cruel leaving a soft with 2 rumours.

11. MaisieD

MaisieD PetForums Member

Thank you. I get cysts myself and it does feel similar to what I get. It feels like a fatty smartie/skittle sized lump. I just wasn’t sure why it had some crusting on the outside.

You’ve really helped me feel less upset and guilty. Thank you.

Blitz likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice