Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lump on back of cat's neck - vaccination?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by GoldenShadow, Apr 1, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I'm always in the cat section for something bad, the joys of elderly cats hey :(

Boy who had the constipation got vaccinated on 16th March and he's got a lump on the back of his neck where he was vaccinated. Its loose in his skin and he doesn't seem bothered by it at first I thought it was a bit of a reaction as he's allergic to fleas but its still there and it dawned on me today its probably from his vaccine.

Does this happen normally? He's 17 and has had boosters every year for his whole life, going to ring the vets tomorrow but expect they will say its nothing etc anyway, just curious as to why its happened...

:eek:

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Which vaccinations did he have?

It's not uncommon to have a reaction on the injection site ( mine had a tiny lump which lasted a few hours post steroid injection ) but I wouldn't have expected it to last this long. That said it doesn't mean there's anything wrong necessarily though I'd still run it past the vets. Keep an eye on it all the same for any changes in size etc.

On a slightly different note-if Boy has had vaccinations all his life I'm pretty sure he's built up enough immunity by now to these viruses. I have cats of similar ages and vaccination history to yours but they've not had any shots for a few years now for this reason plus there's been some controversy about older animals and vaccines. I'd discuss this with your vet. However annual checks are important and I would continue with these.

There's a fairly recent thread on here about vaccinations and older animals though couldn't locate it when I looked!

3. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

If the vet included FeLV vaccine or used a killed vaccine then a lump is more likely and can take well over a week to go down. I've never had lumps form when using live vaccine only but always do when I use Pentofel with kittens.

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Thanks he was done on 16th March. Vet was very insistent he should be vaccinated and so we got him done. Not had the other cat done this year though and wont I don't feel they need it. They are predominantly indoor cats now who don't go hunting or off round fields just into the garden to sun bathe for a little etc.

Will find out what they did him with I doubt they will be very interested in him having a lump though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice