Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lump in throat area

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by PeteJC21, Apr 15, 2011.

1. PeteJC21

PeteJC21 PetForums Member

Hi,
    Our 10 yr old female Pebbles is currently taking medication for being hyperthyroid. They had to shave her neck shaved at the front, around her throat, for blood tests. In the past week or so we have noticed a lump on her throat, id say about half the size of a golf ball. My wife thinks its getting bigger too. Any idea what this could be? Is it likely to be related to her hyperthyroidism? Not noticed any other problems, such as sickness, change in appetites and behaviour, toilet routines.. everything is normal (or whats considered normal for Pebbles!!).

Im going to call the vets tomorrow and get her in asap for a check, but in the meantime looking for a little info/reassurance.

Thankyou,

Pete

2. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Just a guess, but it could be an enlarged thyroid gland (goitre)? I understand animals have two thyroid glands, one either side of their windpipe, so perhaps it's that? Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck at the vet tomorrow :)

3. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

It's quite possibly a goitre. It's unusual to have a hyperthyroid cat without a palpable goitre so more than likely her enlarged thyroid gland working over-drive. And yes dougal is correct there are 2 thyroid lobes either side of the windpipe, usually to start with just one is enlarged in hyperthyroidism.
    Other possibilities could be lymph nodes, but I think more than likely her thyroid, but definitely best getting any lumps checked out

4. PeteJC21

PeteJC21 PetForums Member

But should her thyroid medication (vidalta) not have this under control and stop it becoming enlarged?

5. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

If they drew blood it could also be a haematoma, providing it is filled with blood. Sooty had one on his back, and about 4 weeks after he originally got it, it is finally going down!
    I'd advise a trip to the vet as soon as possible though, and ask them to see if there is any fluids in there etc.

Ems x

6. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I have no idea, sorry. Hopefully the vet will be able to answer your questions tomorrow. Very best of luck.

7. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

No, because the thyroid medication only controls the level of hormone produced.
    Golf ball size is very large indeed and it would be extremely unusual for the adenoma to become this enlarged.

If it's on the injection site then perhaps it could be a reaction of some sort.. Either way I would take her straight back to the vets.

Have you managed to stabilise her T4 yet?

8. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Any news from the vet?
    I hope everything is okay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice