Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lump after neutering surgery

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by silentguardian, Feb 8, 2021.

1. silentguardian

silentguardian PetForums Newbie

Hi,

First of all I apologize for my bad English. Pet forums are not enough in my country :(

I am an 8 month old Golden Retriever Owner. One week ago, a neutering surgery was performed. About 2 days later, I noticed a lump(?) while dressing. I asked the vet and he said he would come in 2 days because he was out of town. I went out to research on the internet because I was impatient. Could this be a hernia or cancer?

I'm so sorry for my bad English.

I am waiting for your help, thanks for answers.

Attached Files:

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could be an infection, or a seroma.

3. silentguardian

First I thought it was a hernia, then I called the vet and he asked me about the stiffness. I said it's not soft. He said he could have cancer because of it. Do you think it could be cancer or hernia? Because the lump is very hard, wouldn't it be soft if there was something like infection?

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Cancer, in an 8 month old dog, and un-noticed at the time of spaying would be incredibly rare.

You really need to have your dog examined. Its most likely caused by the spay. It could be a collection of blood, and they can feel hard.

Sarah H and Calvine like this.
  5. silentguardian

So do you think it could be a hernia? Of course, it is impossible to know for sure from the photos, but there are not many good veterinarians in the country where I am. So I want to research it thoroughly on the internet Tomorrow we'll go for an examination, if the vet diagnoses a tumor, I'll take it to a different vet.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could be a hernia, a haematoma, a seroma.

Calvine likes this.
  7. silentguardian

Thanks for your all answers

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@silentguardian: Our Maggie aged six months (cat) had a very big lump after a spay. I saw it clearly when I held her and stood her on her back legs, other than that it was not obvious. One vet said it was a hernia, second said an infection (but, oddly, prescribed no antibiotics). The third was a very young Romanian woman who said it was most likely an allergic reaction to the suture material. She removed the stitch and it cleared up immediately. Not sure what they use now, but she was definitely spot on. I cannot see any reason why it would be cancer in such a young animal? Try not to spend too much time self-diagnosing online as you will worry yourself far too much. Let us know how you get on?

Edited: The cat is now 17 years old , so no lasting harm as result of the lump!

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

The lump looks as though it is not on the wound. Could be a haematoma. It will not be cancer.

10. silentguardian

The third very young women is right! My vet came over and looked at the tissue, then said it was allergy. But he did not recommend any creams, he said it would pass over time.

Do you think I should use cortisone cream? Which one would you recommend? In addition you have a cream suggestion to speed up the healing of stitches.

Sorry for my bad English.

11. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I have never used cream on an incision. Is the incision clean and dry now? The most I would do is bathe it gently in salt water (slightly warm, not hot) and pat it dry (unless the vet decides to prescribe some cream).
    How long will she have the stitches for?

Don't worry about your English; it is very good and easy to understand!

#11 Calvine, Feb 9, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  12. silentguardian

The wound looks fine but there seems to be a rash. My vet suggested we use antibiotics for another 2 days. 7 days have passed since the stitches were made. When do you think I should take off the Elizabeth collar? (What looks like a funnel on his head) I plan to dress up for a while and use Bepanthen. (Called the Bepanthen on behalf of Turkey, it might be different in England)

I'm trying to improve my English, thank you for your positive review! I make lots of grammatical mistakes and often mix similar words. (ointment, cream etc ...)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice