Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lump 5 months after dog was spayed?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Emily19x, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Emily19x

Emily19x PetForums Newbie

I have a female chihauhua called Gracie and she was spayed back in the beginning of March this year. She still has internal stiches that you can see 5 months on as they have yet to disolve. Saturday night I notice a hard 5p sized lump just off to the left of one of the sutures you can roughly see though her skin. It doesn't hurt when touching and shes fine in herself. I've read alot about how it may just be the stiches, but as I've stated above it's been 5 months and surely it would of happened sooner? But then I'm also worried it could be a hernia? I'm taking her to the vets tomorrow but I'm just wondering what others may think it could be?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Nope...she's a stitch rejector by the looks of things. Internal stitches depending on the animal or humans own little eco system it can take ages for them to dissolve.
    Usually you don't see them but as she's rejecting them fully then they come up to the surface.

I would get her checked on Monday by the vet. The lump may turn into an abscess and be quite painful. My girl had several on her tummy from being spayed, well rejecting stitches. So she will need antibiotics asap.

As a human who rejects stitches I had surgery last September and a stitch popped out my skin about 2 months ago!

Usually you can tell if your dog will reject stitches because after surgery the wound is raised more than normal as that's an initial reaction to them. Not always though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice