UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

did anyone have the Lukullus Dog Bones before? They are sandwich bones of rawhide with either chicken, lamb or beef. Am really interested in getting them for Rocky but wanted to see whether anyone here had them before for their dogs.
Am actually thinking about getting the medium bone. Do you think it would be too big for a bigger Chihuahua? (would get the small one but am sure Rocky would only pick the meat of while the medium bones have meat in the middle so he would have to work for it).

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So there is a way of them actually being able to take the bones apart?
I had a rawhide roll with chicken on top for Rocky before but he only picked off the chicken and left the rest....
That's why I hoped that he won't be able to take the Lukullus bone apart and would take a medium rather than a small (as for the small he would probably just pick off the chicken again) even though he is a small dog.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link. I really like the idea of those bones but I doubt I get Rocky to chew it if there is tripe inside. Too bad it's not filled with chicken :D.

Did anyone try to 8in1 Delight bones yet? They are available from Pets at Home and seem quite good as well.

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
Thanks for the link. I really like the idea of those bones but I doubt I get Rocky to chew it if there is tripe inside. Too bad it's not filled with chicken :D.

Did anyone try to 8in1 Delight bones yet? They are available from Pets at Home and seem quite good as well.
Mine have had the 8in1 sticks - they pulled them apart, ate all the chicken, and then went back to eat the rawhide afterwards, so probably not the best for dogs who are just going to be interested in the chicken! They managed to separate the two very easily. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have just ordered 2 medium Lukullus bones for my Chihuahua (as I hope he won't get the middle part of chicken out that quickly and so can't just "pick off" the chicken from the top).

Will show a pic when it arrives :).

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
I know SixStar disagrees with me but I am very wary of rawhide chews in general.

Is Rawhide Safe for Your Dog? – Pawfun explains why quite well.

If you do give rawhide I would certainly supervise while eating. I would also avoid any rawhide manufactured in places like China.
It's not that I disagree with you - I am aware of the dangers that could, possibly, be associated with them, but it's a calculated risk for me - every dog I've ever had has had rawhide, and we've never had any issues - I always supervise them eating it, and thankfully, they've always been sensible and don't gulp down huge chunks. The only time any of my dogs has seriously choked, was on a tiny dried fish treat, considered completely safe by the majority.

I have however, since you've raised the point about what some of them can contained, switched to buying Farmfood rawhide (Premium Quality Rawhide Dogchews » Farm Food Natural Dogfood) or British sourced venison or pork hide.

I just forget to mention it, since I've been happily buying other (probably Chinese produced) rawhide for years!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I always supervise Rocky with everything he is eating and take all bonee, etc. away when I am gone.

I am sure he won't eat the rawhide anyways (as he is really picky and never really has eaten them, only chewed on them) but just chew on it until he can get the chicken out. That's all I really want, him to chew a bit more. And at least for the Lukullus bones he will have to work a bit to get to the chicken.

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
I looked at the Lukullus bones, they look really good. My dogs are idiots though so I prefer to stick to raw bones which I know they actually have learnt to behave with. They're just too silly with raw hide :(

Looking forward to seeing photos :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have given Rocky a few raw chicken necks before. But he will just sometimes eat it and other times will just "protect" it and keep it for "bad days". So now he will get a raw chicken neck really rarely so he will eat it straight away. :D

Hopefully my order should arrive tomorrow. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.