Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Loxicom out of stock permanently?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Brendan Kane, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Brendan Kane

Brendan Kane PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone. I am new here and don't really know how this works!
    Basically I have a 14 year old lab who is on loxicom for her arthritis, which I get on prescription and buy online for less than half the price I would have to pay at my vets. (Being a student, this is a life saver). It seems though that near enough all of the online prescription websites don't have it in stock in the 100ml at all anymore, and only one I could find that still have the 32ml in stock! Does anybody know if it just seems to be coming off the market?
    Also, quite strangely, my prescription has just been renewed but for just 2 months rather than the usual 6 months, so I think that must just be human error as the blood examination covers for the next 6 months. Any insight would really be helpful! Thanks!

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Animed sell metacam for dogs in 100ml. Its the same stuff, just loxicom is the generic name and metacam the branded name.

Query with your vet why the repeat is shorter than normal. It may be they want to do blood tests sooner. This NSAID can cause kidney issues so regular blood checks are important. If your vets have given you the shorter prescription due to impending blood tests you could ask if getting the tests done sooner would result in a longer prescription. I have done this with Thyronorm hyperthyroid meds for my cat before.

3. Brendan Kane

Brendan Kane PetForums Newbie

Oh cool, thanks for that! They have assured me though that she doesn't need her bloods done again for 6 months (she had them done today), so Ill query it with them. I think I will go in next week and ask them if they are able to change the name on the prescription to metacam then, or would I be able to purchase it with a "loxicom" prescription? It is much cheaper too! Thanks!

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Yes query the repeat interval. I had this happen to me and it was just an oversight. They will need to change it to metacam but that shouldn't be an issue.

I have used Animed for many years for my cat prescriptions and found them to be good. My cat was on metacam. The vets changed their own supply toloxicom but cat loxicom was only available in 30ml whereas the metacam had been in 100ml. So I just got them to write a prescription for the 100ml metacam and used the online pet phamacy and it was lots cheaper. Animed are very good at checking the prescription and are quick to answer any queries in my experience.

5. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Just ask for the prescription to be made out for the generic drug, meloxicam. That way you can use it for any of the multitude of brands, rather than having to source one specific name.

kittih likes this.
  6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

We got Meloxaid (or something to that effect) last time at the vets. It's all the same stuff just different brands.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice