Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Low shedding breeds/dogs that don't need a lot of maintanence

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by maltesemoo, May 4, 2011.

1. maltesemoo

maltesemoo PetForums Junior

I've spent days now looking for the perfect breed for our family, we reached the conclusion of a Maltese but after a bit more research decided that we'd need something that didn't require so much grooming etc.

So I was wondering if anyone could help me out as I'm getting pretty desperate.

We're looking for a pup that's either toy/small and that sheds very little (my mum's a clean freak!) Also one that doesn't need very regular salon trips and excessive grooming.
    We're also looking for a pup that isn't known for being very vocal and agressive.

That's about it really, I was looking at long haired Chihuahua's but every website says a completely different thing! So I thought I'd come to those who actually own these dogs and have first hand experience.

Thanks in advance!

2. Val001

Val001 PetForums Senior

Does it have to be a small dog as labradoodles don't shed or I suppose any of the poodles would be the same.

3. maltesemoo

Unfortunately it would have to be a small dog. Having such trouble finding one though!

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

The perfect dog you are looking for is a Kenzie...err I mean a Westie :p

Small, non-shedding, friendly, cute, fun.....

Any non-shedding dog needs to go to the groomers, but Kenzie only goes every 8 weeks or so, but may need to go more in the summer so she doesn't get too hot. She doesn't require much grooming, just a quick brush every day or so.

Labradoodles aren't always non-shedding - if they get the poodle coat they are but with the lab coat they're not, and you can't usually tell until they're quite a bit older.

5. maltesemoo

Thanks for the reply. I actually worked in a kennel with Westies for a year, such lovely dogs. Do you find yours barks a lot?

6. seratobyflynn

seratobyflynn PetForums Member

I have a Boston terrier. He has barked about 5 times in the 4 weeks we have had him and he doesn't moan at night at all. He has short hair and doesn't seem to shed at all although he is only 12 weeks. They're not for everybody looks wise but I love him! He is however very clever and very energetic, a bit nippy but he's only a pup!

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

McKenzie doesn't bark much at all. She will bark when the doorbell rings or if she hears a strange noise, but I don't mind her doing that as I think it's a good 'security feature'! When I tell her to shush she usually does, and I definitely wouldn't say it's a problem. She never makes any noise when I leave her.

8. maltesemoo

I've just emailed the kennel I said about, so hopefully I'll be a step closer to getting my own pup :) How often do you leave her alone for a day?

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Obviously I'm a little biased since I have one, but they really are cracking little dogs. Mine's only 8 months but she's so good, I don't have any problems with her at all, although obviously there are still little things to work on.

I live and work in the same place so on days that I work she'll usually be in her crate for 2-3 hours, then down with me for an hour or two, then back upstairs for an hour or two, then have a walk and a bit of time with me, then in her crate for another few hours until I finish work. It sounds like a lot of time alone but she doesn't mind at all - she just sleeps and never makes a sound (I'd hear her if she did). On days when I don't work she sleeps just as much. I'll probably stop closing her in her crate soon as she is now fully toilet trained and past the teething stage.

10. maltesemoo

This has definitely made me want a westie even more! Do you have any photos?

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I sure do! It's embarrasing how many photos I have of her! There's a few other people on here with Westies too - there's Radley but I can't remember his mum's user name, Westie-ma, Sixstar and I think a few others.

I'm on my work computer so don't have the photos on here but there are a few in various threads:
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat...e-puppy-piccies-pleeeaaase-3.html#post2442957

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/163200-since-everyone-else-doing.html

Some videos here:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/162400-kenzies-tricks-video.html

And if you still want more I can put some up later! :D

12. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

What about a bedlington terrier?

13. maltesemoo

Aw :) So adorable I could cry.

14. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yeah, she's my baby.

Let me know if you want any other info about Westies, always happy to help :)

15. maltesemoo

Just worried as we have small animals (guinea pigs & hamsters) and I know westies are notorious for hunting and also digging (mum loves her garden!)

16. NOT guaranteed I am afraid!

17. maltesemoo

Can anyone write me a list of the dogs they've had/known that shed very little please? Not sure what to think when it comes to the websites, they all say different things!

18. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

My son's labradoodle sheds as much as any labrador. Her coat grows to an almost straight, just a slight wave, scruffy longish coat, not a curl in sight (which my d-i-l was hoping for :( ). She gets taken to the groomers every few months and comes back with a very short sleek coat which helps with the shedding but to all intents and purposes she looks just like a lab.

19. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Poodle
    Bichon

Don't shed but their undercoat dies off and needs brushing out. I get the equivalent of about a cotton wool ball size of fluff out of Poppy just before she's due for a trip to the groomers, and this is every day.

20. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Most of the low shedding breeds tend to require extensive grooming, which isn't a huge amount of help to you.

That said, I picked up a book called "sneeze free dog breeds" a few years back and it lists a fair variety of breeds that are supposed to be good for allergy sufferers and minimal shedders.

The ones that require little grooming include the chihuahua and the Italian greyhound. (I know there is someone on here with iggies but I'm sorry I can't remember who).

There are also the hairless breeds, although they do require care of a different sort (there are also CC owners here who could advise).

Personally I like the Iggies best :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice