Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Low Protein Food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by oggers86, Apr 21, 2017.

1. oggers86

oggers86 PetForums VIP

I need something low protein but high moisture for Elsworth, at the moment he's eating a mixture of supermarket pouches which he likes and Butchers Classic which he is OK with but the end of the tin is always a bit watery which he isn't keen on. He's doing absolutely fine on them but I know the pouches aren't amazing.

We need to stay away from the foods like Macs, Ropocat etc.

Nothing too expensive, similarly priced to Macs at the most.

Any ideas?

2. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

I can't help you, but my two used to love Butchers Classic and over the last year it's been going watery whether put in the fridge of left out and neither will eat it when this happens. I think they've changed the recipe. It might be worth spending time looking at the protein levels in the supermarkets/pet shop or on Zooplus if you're willing to go an online order.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi oggers, forgive me for asking but I am curious why Elsworth needs to be on a low protein diet? Low protein diets are usually given to cats with CKD (or PKD) and I did not think Elsworth has kidney disease? Perhaps I missed one of your posts...

#3 chillminx, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. oggers86

oggers86 PetForums VIP

We have found that when he's on Macs and such like with the higher protein and less moisture it causes the pooing in the house. I discussed it with the vet and whilst the output appears normal for such a diet he seems to suffer discomfort.

We managed to put two and two together after realising that our poo free period coincided with him being on Butchers and then when we switched to the better stuff from the HKC it returned. He's been on the lower protein food since February and we have only had a poo on the floor when he has eaten our food totalling 3 times when he's had bolognese, lamb gravy and pasta bake. If we only feed him his food he's absolutely fine.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I remember saying on here about a year ago I thought Elsworth's poo soiling could be linked to a sensitive bowel causing him discomfort. I am glad your vet agrees with my conclusions! :)

Butchers is not especially low in protein at 8.5%. Most renal prescription foods are lower in protein at around 6%. The cheaper cat foods tend to be the ones lower in protein. So if Elsworth does better on the cheaper quality foods by all means keep him on those.

If the Butchers Classic is watery at the end of the can, throw the last bit away. Butchers is a food with a very high moisture content (82%) so the last bit of the can is probably mostly moisture. If it is so watery at the bottom you can afford to throw it away seeing as it is such an inexpensive food.

Butchers also contains only 5% fat, (lower than many adult wet cat foods) and it may be the lower fat content as much as the lower protein content that suits Elsworth's sensitive bowel. (The lower fat content in certain foods is very significant for my two cats with IBD.)

Miamor Ragout Royale chunks in jelly contains 8% protein, only 4.5% fat.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/miamor/miamor_pouches/37433

Animonda Rafine Soupe chunks in sauce is 8% protein and 5% fat:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/animonda_rafine/animonda_pouches/446293

Both of these makes ^^ are popular with my cats.

The following foods will be available from the supermarket
    (but I have linked them on Zooplus in case you want to buy from there)

Whiskas in Sauce - 8% protein and 4.7% fat

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/whiskas/whiskas_pouches/611375

Whiskas in jelly -
    8% protein and 4.7% fat:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/whiskas/whiskas_pouches/519948

Kitekat
    is even lower at only 7% protein and fat of 4%, so should suit him fine:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/kitekat/pouches/95798

Gourmet Gold Tender Chunks in gravy
    - 7% protein, only 3.7% fat!

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/gourmet/gourmet_saver_packs/540698

I should think these will be enough to be going on with for now! :)

#5 chillminx, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Paddypaws likes this.
  6. oggers86

oggers86 PetForums VIP

I never thought to try him on a low protein food before. I think it was something Vicky said that got me thinking.

Interestingly he's had an emergency tin of Macs when we had nothing else over Easter but he was fine. I wonder if it's the feeding over a longer term that sets him off.

His poo also seems less pellety, he has a habit of going on the grass so I get to see what it looks like. I'm going to try
    I know, I was sure it wasn't an aversion to certain meats but it never occurred to me to look at the protein and fat content.

It could well be the fat as opposed to the protein which would explain the immediate reaction to certain human foods. With the cat food it seems to be a reaction from longer term feeding which is maybe why it started when it did, he had been on the higher quality foods for a while but he can eat them for a day and be fine.

The poo is more sausage shaped too, he likes going on the grass so I have the pleasure of doing a poo hunt before Alex goes to play. Outside I can deal with although I have pondered creating a shelter with a tray in to see if that would work..

Its taken a long time but I think we've sorted that issue, if we can fix that perhaps we can fix the spraying too. That sadly isn't linked to the change in food, would be great if it was though!

Thanks for the list, I'll try a couple of different ones to see if he has a preference.

I've been wondering about treats as I'm wary of giving him anything now. I want to buy thrive to sprinkle on his food so he gets his cystophan dose, the chicken will be OK won't it? He's shown no adverse reactions to plain chicken..

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The Thrive freeze dried chicken treats are pure protein. One or two pieces a day crumbled on his food should be fine. :)

8. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

@oggers86 you could try an Ikea Samla storage box as an outside tray........use a hairdryer to warm the plastic then cut a flap sized hole in one end. I have one outside, sitting on a raised storage bench, and the litter stays absolutely dry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice