Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

lOW INCOME pressure

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by DAISY, Feb 26, 2008.

1. DAISY

DAISY PetForums Newbie

I have a fox terrier that needs castration owing to increasing aggression and dominant behaviour.I attend a practice that is PDSA supported and use that when necessary,a marvellous help.I was advised to do this by 2 vets and that I would pay approx 40 pounds and the PDSA would pay the rest.However now I have decided to go ahead with the procedure and am told I have to pay full costs,around 80 pounds.Ringing around has also been confusing,the PDSA do not seem at all sure of rules and have not been empathetic at all,quotes have varied and I was told brusquely to deal with it myself at the practice.Does anyone know of a charity that might assist with the cost and not make me feel bad about it when I am trying to do what is right for my dog under extreme financial pressures.Thank you for any information anyone can give.:)

2. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

I have a friend who's dog was attacked by another dog whilst out walking. The injury was so bad that it needed urgent surgey to sow its ear back in place. Sadly she was in the same financial situation as you and the vets she contacted refused to operate without prior payment, even though the injury was so bad.
    She contacted the PDSA and had similar problems. She said she felt judged and was asked why she had the dog, how much it cost her, why she was claiming benefits etc..
    The process of applying for help was a long one but she did so anyway and in the meantime a vet agreed to just patch over the wound till they heard back from the PDSA.
    She never ever heard back from the PDSA but luckily at the same time she approached the Blue Cross who helped pay the bill for the surgery.
    Im not slating the PDSA as they do wonderful work but it does sound like they can be very judgemental. I know they have to ask questions but I think they only need ask ones that are relevant.
    Try the Blue Cross, you may have better luck with them. :)

3. DAISY

DAISY PetForums Newbie

Dear Bullbreeds,
    Thank you for your advice and I would say the word you used "judgmental"is spot on, based on not knowing a thing about that person or their history!Luckily I have now found a small local charity who is supporting part of the cost.I fear the big organisations have lost track of what the original creeds were in assisting animals and that it inevitably encompasses the humans involved in the complete scenario.How sad that people are treated this way to the detriment of all.The behaviour of the vet beggars belief,how can carers of animals be so callous?It is a malaise in our culture that money is above all values, leaving ethics and consience in the gutter. Thank God for persons like those helping us,they are the true meaning of Christian Charity: "Benevolence or generosity toward others or toward humanity".
    Thanks again for your kind and quick response.Daisy

4. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Im glad you managed to find someone willing to help.
    I agree with everything you said. Its a sad world we live in isnt it.
    Hope it all goes well. :)

5. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

the dog trust charity will help with the cost and somtimes they do it for free.
    ..its worth a try

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I find it all a bit worrying, the PDSA is a charity I have supported, but now it has me worried the money maybe isn't going where I thought it was. I understand they can't hand out money willy-nilly, its not a bottomless pit, but surely it is to help animals whose owners are on low incomes, not make them feel humiliated because they've asked for help.

And as for Bullbreeds story, not even getting back to your friend, that is very poor.

7. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

My dog is now on the blue cross, I rotate my oldest cat and the dog on a yearly basis. I've used the blue cross several times (only ever had to pay for any extra drugs the animal has needed), I 'adopted' 3 rescue cats (2 together and 1 that was almost a feral cat), the blue cross paid for 2 of them to be 'seen to' (even though it's only supposed to cover 1 animal per household) and the rspca footed the bill for the 'feral' type cat as it needed x-rays as well as other tests doing. Our local vets will ring the various charities on your behalf to see if any of them are willing to share the costs if you are classed as being low income, they're really really good like that, they've all been really caring where the animals are concerned. I had to have an animal put to sleep after an accident and they appologised to me for having to charge me the fee to cremate the body and even offered me an installment plan (the bill was for the grand total of £15). The animal always comes first and they'll work out some way of payment second. I can't thank them enough on several occasions where I've needed the emergency vet but not had enough cash to pay upfront.

8. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

What a wonderful vet you have.

9. dogsdinner

dogsdinner PetForums Junior

If your on benefits here the dogs trust do nuetering for €10 or in northern ireland £10 stirling. My vet lets me run an account for all my animals and I pay when i'm passing there very good like that and a lot cheaper than the UK ones are by the sound of it.

10. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

Jenny I've known my vet since he was on placement at the surgery as a student, about 20 years ago now. He's stitched my WSD muzzle up, sorted out a hamster (lol) with a sore mouth, neutered all my animals. The vet nurse is really good as well and will give advice about small matters like feeding, finding training classes, she even brought out some antibiotics for my cat when I wasn't well and he needed some more for his problems with his mouth. I can't praise them enough.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice