Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Low grade soft tissue sarcoma

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by WillowT, Jun 3, 2019.


  1. WillowT

    WillowT PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    1,980
    hi,
    Our lab x collie willow had a lump removed ( from front of chest) 6 days ago and the result has come back that it is a low grade soft tissue sarcoma.Trying not to feel to devastated right now.
    The vet has said a low grade tumour of this kind does not generally spread. However the pathologist could not rule out whether they had taken enough margin tissue to remove all of the cells so they have said it will be a waiting game to see if it grows back. If it does grow back she will need another surgery which the vet has said will be a big surgery and will need to be done by a specialist.
    She said there is a 10% chance of it growing back.

    I have spoken with her about a chest X-ray which she did agree they could do. However, I am wondering whether a CT or MRI should be done? I did mention to her and she said they would only really do that if it was a higher grade. An X-ray is going to show limited picture and I am just wondering ( for piece of mind) whether I try and push for 1 of the other 2 as they will show more that might be missed with X-ray.

    Any thoughts?

    Also anyone who has had a dog with this tumour could you share your experiences please? There has been no mention of radiotherapy or chemotherapy. She said she doesn’t want me to panic but they will need to keep an eye on Willow.

    Many thanks xx
     
  2. lullabydream

    lullabydream PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    Messages:
    11,767
    Likes Received:
    16,460
    No experience but didn't want to read and run, I am so sorry to hear about Willow. Hugs to you, I know she's been a rock for you and yours
     
    WillowT likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

    Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2013
    Messages:
    19,976
    Likes Received:
    26,144
    Same here, no experience/advice to offer but sorry you’re dealing with this :(

    Hope Willow stays well and it causes her no more problems.
     
    WillowT and lullabydream like this.
  4. rottiepointerhouse

    rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2014
    Messages:
    18,718
    Likes Received:
    29,812
    No experience here either, sorry but in your shoes I think perhaps I would ask for a referral to the specialist anyway so that you can discuss your concerns and they can decide whether further investigation is appropriate at this stage or whether watch and wait is the best option. Gentle hugs to Willow.
     
    WillowT and lullabydream like this.
  5. WillowT

    WillowT PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    1,980
    Thank you all. Very kind words. I haven’t told my husband yet. He is working on the car. The vet just phoned a bout an hour ago. It is my father in laws anniversary of his death from cancer tomorrow. Bad timing but I feel I need to discuss it with him today. I’ll keep you all updated xx
     
  6. rottiepointerhouse

    rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2014
    Messages:
    18,718
    Likes Received:
    29,812
    @WillowT if you put soft tissue sarcoma in the search function there are some old threads on the subject but I don't know how helpful they might be.
     
    WillowT likes this.
  7. WillowT

    WillowT PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    1,980
    Ahhhh thanks @rottiepointerhouse
     
    rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  8. WillowT

    WillowT PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    1,980
    So I spoke to the vet again. The tumour was 2cm x1.5 cm. was not connected to bone. They said ( if there is a cancer to have this is the one to have) as there is only 10% chance it will spread. My husband isn’t keen to get a chest x-ray as it would be another GA and she was really confused and disoriented for 24 hours after this one.... that was really distressing to see. The vet said healthy cells were seen by the pathologist but a clear margin could not be seen which is why they cannot guarantee they got all the cells. They say if they haven’t got it all then it will grow back within a few months. This would mean a big operation by a specialist and they would have to take more and due to its position this would mean taking some bone from the chest too but that this would completely eradicate it and she would be free from it... if it does come back.

    I’m hoping this is not the case. But for now I will try and see the facts laid to us in a positive light.
     
  9. SusieRainbow

    SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    12,195
    Likes Received:
    17,752
    So sorry to hear you're going through this. As my little dog went through extensive surgery for mammary cancer at 13 years old I can identify with your anxiety.
    Her recovery was slow and painful but we had 2 more happy years before she died of something else.
    Lots of healing vibes for you and Willow.
    How old is she now?
     
    lullabydream and WillowT like this.
  10. JoanneF

    JoanneF PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2016
    Messages:
    7,043
    Likes Received:
    14,065
    Disclaimer first because I know little about sarcoma in dogs. But I had a little lump removed a few years ago, tests showed it to be a melanoma, so I was taken back for a wider excision around the area to get a safe margin. Rather than wait for it to come back and possibly need bone tissue removal, would it be an option to go back now for a wider excision to try to get that clear margin?
     
    lullabydream and WillowT like this.
  11. WillowT

    WillowT PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    1,980
    Willow is 4 and half years old
     
  12. WillowT

    WillowT PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    1,980
    This is one of the questions on my list for Saturday
     
    lullabydream and JoanneF like this.
  13. WillowT

    WillowT PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    1,980
    Just to update you all. We spoke with the vets on Saturday. There were no clear margins ( due to its position) so we will be going to willows in Birmingham on Thursday. I am not happy to wait and watch if it grows back. I want to know now. This is best for willow. And maybe if they didn’t get it all there will be a smaller op that could address getting the rest of it. I would rather lessen the chance of a huge operation in 6 months time
     
  14. niamh123

    niamh123 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2018
    Messages:
    2,073
    Likes Received:
    1,405
    Hope everything goes okay on Thursday thinking of Willow you and hubby
     
  15. WillowT

    WillowT PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    1,980
    We have just got back from Willows. We have left willow there and she will be having a CT scan. They expect to not find any spread to the sternum or lungs as that is not the behaviour for this type of tumour so that was encouraging. We are just waiting for them to call with the results of the scan.
    After this they will do a second surgery and remove a larger area and go and take some fascia from below. She said this is curative and they expect to get it all.

    All being well we will collect willow tomorrow. It’s sounding very positive so we are keeping everything crossed. So glad we have insurance as the total cost is 5,000!

    I’ll update all tomorrow
     
    lullabydream and JoanneF like this.
  16. rottiepointerhouse

    rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2014
    Messages:
    18,718
    Likes Received:
    29,812
    That sounds very promising. Hope all goes well with the CT scan and operation.
     
    WillowT likes this.
  17. niamh123

    niamh123 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2018
    Messages:
    2,073
    Likes Received:
    1,405
    Very positive news have been thinking of you, hubby and Willow:)
     
    WillowT likes this.
  18. JoanneF

    JoanneF PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2016
    Messages:
    7,043
    Likes Received:
    14,065
    Good to hear. Hope it all goes well, and thank goodness for insurance.
     
  19. lullabydream

    lullabydream PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    Messages:
    11,767
    Likes Received:
    16,460
    Sounds very promising news. Vets being really thorough and doing exactly what you wanted
     
    WillowT and JoanneF like this.
  20. WillowT

    WillowT PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2015
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    1,980
    Just an update. We dropped willow off at willows yesterday morning. The CT confirmed there was no spread to bone/lungs :)
    She then went in to have another surgery straight after this. She has done very well. We went and collected her today I cried when I saw her.... her scar is so big. We hadn’t prepared ourselves for that. They took far and wide and quite deep...... some muscle going towards bone. They hope to get good margins and will call us in 5-7 days with that info. But now she is back where she belongs. We are all camping out in front room with mattresses. 2 weeks of on lead toileting in garden only. After 2 weeks unrestricted lead walks only and after 3 weeks off lead as normal. I’ll give daily updates.
     
    lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice