Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Low fat treats?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shibby, Apr 3, 2011.

1. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some new ideas regarding low-fat treats to take on walks? Our Staffie has hit adolescence and requires clicker training on walks. We take lean cut meats, some cheese; cut cheese & Primula (which I think we'll need to reduce), low fat biscuits, low fat hot dogs and apple. But I was just wondering if anyone has any other ideas? He's putting on weight, I think it may be because he keeps getting scraps :mad: if anyone has any ideas on how I can stop my duh-brain step-dad from giving him this too, I'd appreciate it! It's like banging my head against a brick wall :mad2:

2. rona

rona Guest

Does he like carrot?

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

No idea with the stepdad I'm afraid! But for low fat treats how about carrot? I do heaps of training with my boys so obviously they get alot of treats, and to ensure they're not getting too many calories, I'll put say 20% something extra yummy (liver or cheese) in my treat pouch, with the other 40% being low fat biscuits, carrot and apple- so all the treats smell like liver/cheese, but only a few actually are ;)

We also use the Thrive salmon treats alot, which are natural and healthy.

4. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I was thinking about carrot, he enjoys a frozen carrot in the house so should enjoy one on walks. Bit of a daft question, should it be raw? I'm going to keep the apples in the fridge so it's nice and cool with the weather heating up now. He has the odd low-fat, sugar free, white chocolate dog buttons in his treat bag too, but he doesn't get too many of those. A few people have commented on his weight and I find it extremely frustrating that he can't adhere to no means no, for the benefit of the pooch :rolleyes:

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

It doesn't have to be raw but I think most dogs prefer it this way- nice and crunchy for them.

6. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Great, thank you :) I'll add it to the list.

7. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Rice cakes:D

8. rona

rona Guest

If you feed him kibble, you can take some of that and reduce his meals equivalently, he's then not getting extras :)

9. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

Could you cut some small slivers of tripe stick .

10. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Hehe, wow, just googled it :D I would never have guessed rice cakes. From that rice cake search it also said frozen green beans, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, and watermelon chunks, which will be added to the list. Thanks!

11. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

The dried ones? Oh I don't think I could handle it :D He gets one after his walk and it makes me want to gag.

My Mum assures me she's doing this and he won't eat much once he's had training. But 'step-dad' is the problem :rolleyes::

12. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

All those veggies might work for your dog but mine would turn their nose up. It's got to be really high value for them to accept it as a reward. So I make Liver cake and cut it up into tiny squares for rewards. This works very well for Pippi and her weight is just right.

However Bizkit is more toy motivated so I use a squeaky toy or a tennis ball as his reward (like they do with sniffer dogs) it's got to be the best low calorie reward going :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice