Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Low cost teeth cleaning near London?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sam Ritter, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Sam Ritter

Sam Ritter PetForums Newbie

Hi, I live in London with my elderly dachsund, who very much needs teeth cleaning. The vet recommended it, but here in London the vets I've found all charge over £600. I found a place near Birmingham that charges £120, and I'm wondering if there might be something similar closer to home? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, tia!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

The vets that operate in the Pets at Home stores sometimes have offers.

3. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Cleaning, or tooth extractions? These are two different procedures. The £600 likely includes possible extractions; the £120 may be a scale and polish only.

You need to make absolutely sure you're comparing like-for-like when phoning round, or you'll end up booking in for a 'clean' at £120 and be presented with a bill for £120 scale/polish plus £300 extractions or similar.

It's generally recommended that elderly patients have pre-operative bloodwork and a drip throughout the anaesthesia. Is this included in the £600? It almost certainly won't be in the £120. Ask for itemised estimates.

Dental procedures are amongst the hardest to estimate for, and it's impossible to know what needs doing over the phone so you may find that the estimates you receive are not accurate unless you take your dog to see the vet for an examination first.

I'd be surprised if an elderly dachshund requires cleaning only, unless they've had another dental procedure very recently. They are amongst the worst mouths we see for dental disease, poor souls.

For an older dog requiring extractions, plus bloods and fluids, I'd expect to pay anything between £300-800 personally. The difference in cost is due to location, the individual practice's pricing structure and the standard of treatment provided - some practices do dentistry very well, and sadly some really don't. A cheap job may be just that: a cheap job.

#3 Ceiling Kitty, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    pinklizzy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice