Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Low cal training treats

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Skandi, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Skandi

Skandi PetForums Senior

I've been slacking recently on Jess's training, so decided need to really up the ammount, However I'm stuck with what can I give my 8 month old hoover for treats, she will eat ANYTHING do tricks for lettuce, beansprouts you name it, obviously cheese or cooked meat are more prized than lettuce but certainly cheese will not do unless I want a ball, she's raw fed, so I can't take part of her dinner and use that, I'm not keen on the idea of a pocket full of frozen tripe!

What I'm looking for is something I can keep in my pockets without it going off but won't cause her to inflate like a balloon. I've done dried liver for her before, and she's fine with that, but I'm thinking that that's fairly calorific too.
    I'm very wary of pre made treats as the last 2 types she had gave her a very runny tummy, (one 98% beef treat and one mixed crappy thing only thing connecting them was they were both smoke flavoured, however she is fine with smoked (human!) fish)

2. jesterjenn

jesterjenn PetForums Senior

dried chicken or liver or fish would probably be a good bet?

Fish4Dogs do some really stinky, but nice and small (and probably low in calories - I don't know much about calories though as I don't really pay it attention with my two) training treats as well as their jerky.

3. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Oh you can, you just don't fancy it ;) I take some of Spens out in a tupperware container and spoon feed him tiny bits. It is a bit of a pain in the ass and does get you some funny looks though.

Personally I'd probably go with something like the fish4dogs training stars or small pieces of dried liver or something like that. When I'm not spoon feeding Spen tripe or beef or kidney I use liver cake, tuna cake, garlic sausage, cooked meat and basically whatever we have in. I do worry about him getting fat but I keep a close eye on him and if necessary will cut down on something. He'll work for veggies and fruit too so quite often I'll chop up some carrots into treat sized pieces and mix them in with something of high value like garlic sausage or cheese and so it's a bit of a lucky dip what he gets each time. It might be a piece of boring carrot, it might be a piece of garlic sausage, it might be a spoonful of tripe :)

4. Bonsai

Bonsai PetForums Member

Sounds strange but I invested in a popcorn maker air popped popcorn with nothing added is pretty low cal and bonsai loves it!

5. IncaThePup

IncaThePup PetForums VIP

I never thought of popcorn! Thought it would be fattening. I tried to get Inca to eat carrot, she not interested in raw, but will eat it if cooked and mixed in with all other dinner.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice