Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Loving our tricks class!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Oct 15, 2013.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

For all of you who thinks tricks are demeaning, you might not want to read any further or you'll be calling the SPCA on me! :eek:

Just got back from our second tricks class and it was SO much fun! Last week we mainly did stuff Kenzie could already do as we were the most advanced in the class, but this week we did heaps of new stuff.

Kenzie is SO quick at picking stuff up (the trainer uses her as the example dog) and she honestly loves is and is completely focused for the whole hour.

This week we learnt to walk and then turn so the dog turns into you, and then turn so the dog turns away from you. The others started learning how to get their dogs to weave half-turns through their legs, while we practised several weaves at a time and next week will be getting Kenzie to weave through my legs as I walk. We got the dogs to recall to us and go through our legs and into heel position, and got our dogs to lift their legs to mirror our hands.

This class leads on to heelwork to music if you want to keep going, and it's starting to be quite appealing to me. Now that we are learning little things I can see how it would be possible to teach a routine, whereas before H2M just seemed like a huge unachievable thing.

Anyway, just wanted to share how much Kenzie and I are loving our new hobby :)

2. MLB

MLB Guest

That sounds like great fun. I think Angel & Shadow would enjoy doing something like this as they are both very eager to please and pick up things quite quickly. Chaos would probably stress me out. It takes forever to teach him anything. The poor boy does concentrate but 'never gets it.' He's good at down and stay but I end up holding my breath every time I tell him down as he drops to the floor so awkwardly, fast and with a thud. (hes 46 Kg) and he is such a clumbsy boy.

I hope you and Kenzie continue to enjoy your trick classes and would love to see a routine at sometime. Move over Pudsey. :D

3. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

It's great you've found something you both enjoy. I can't say I've ever seen a class just for tricks here. :(

4. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Glad you are both loving it ... will there be video? I love seeing the pocket rocket in action.

5. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I think ALL or ANY training is good for the mind and soul, human and canine. Love hearing about dogs and their training, whether it's serious stuff or not, just do it! :D

6. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

What a great idea for a class- all about focus etc and fun to boot-

DEFO need video updates though!

7. Skinnywhippet

Skinnywhippet PetForums Member

sounds brilliant, why would anyone think that's demeaning? You're working with your dog as a team surely, and that's always good.

I'd love to do something like that with mine one day. I'm sure it must be more fun for the dog too than, say, getting something perfect to the nearest millimetre for competitive obedience!

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I am so envious:mad::
    I would love to do something like that with Heidi. It sounds so much fun.

I thought about agility with her but I'm not so agile myself these days:D:D
    Something like you're doing would be great.:D:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice