Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lotties Diet

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by AmyCruick, Aug 17, 2009.

1. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

After advice from a week or so ago I have now put Lottie on a diet where she is eating mainly hay, a few pellets and weetabix. Sugar still gets veg but I feed that to him seperately so Lottie doesn't get any now. She has lost some weight and so is able to clean properly but her poos are still really runny! I clean her bottom for her still as I don't like the thought of her eating it all to get herself clean again, its always in the morning and I get rid of most of it then she cleans properly and stay clean the rest of the day.

if she's not having any veg now though then why is she still doing runny number 2's or do I need to just wait as its only been a week or so that I've cut the veg out?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It could be her caecotrophs sticking to her bottom, rather than her having the runs. Is she passing normal poos aswell?

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Rabbits are meant to do some runny poops then re-eat them to get all the goodness out of their food, however on hay i really cant see why she would need to do this, unless her tummy isnt absorbing food properly, I dont know if its worth finding out if theres anything the vets could give u to help her digestion/absorbtion or maybe just some probiotics

also I have come across this which might be helpful Denes Fact Sheet: Rabbits & Diarrhoea - Denes Natural Pet Care for cats and dogs - since 1951

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

also are ur wheatabix fortified with vitamins and iron? if so I wouldnt feed to them, as the balance might be all wrong, i've got a feeling sainburys basics arnt fortified, so they might be ok, (yes i read the boxes of everything :rolleyes: )

5. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

They are normal the rest of the day its just in the morning but it is like thick liquid rather than softer poos if that makes sense?

6. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Thanks emzybabe, they're due for jabs soon so I will ask the vet when i take them in. When I rescued her they said she was just like this so I'd just accepted it really until the other week when I asked on here, would love to cure her if I can!

Will check the weetabix, thanks!

7. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Its the morning poo's that are supposed to be runny as Nonnie said (can't spell it and too lazy to scroll). Rabbit re-eat the runny stuff straight from their bum early in the morning so you hardly ever see it but in a rabbit thats over weight they can't reach round to eat it and it sticks to them. When Lottie loses enough weight you won't see this poop anymore as she'll be eating it again.

8. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Oh ok! How much is there meant to be? At the moment there's loads and I think she can't possibly eat all of it but then I've never seen it on a rabbit before.

She can clean herself as I just pull the majority off and then when i get home she's all sparkling again! But she def needs to lose a little more weight, its coming off though and its only been a week so far since the diet and exercise regime began :D

9. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

I think the diet has worked and we have one sparkling clean bot again! For the last two days she's been spotless....she's also running around a lot more which isn't fun when I try to bring her in :D but good to see.

The only thing now is that sugar is looking scrawny and thin so am giving him extra carrots, is there anything else thats good for putting weight on? he's still eating lots i can just really feel his spine at the moment and his middle is really thin.

I checked the weetabix and it was fortified with vitamins and iron so stopped feeding it to them and will look for plain stuff next time I go shopping.

10. pets-life

pets-life Banned

11. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Ooh I'm going to add that little link into the sticky I made!

12. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

I see on there they can have cheerios! I bet sugar would love them :)

13. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

I don't know why but oh gawd this makes me feel queasy lol

14. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

It does me too... especially as I know how much there is and what it smells like! Bleurgh! :)

15. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Miffy loves nothing more than pooing herself while sitting right next to my chair and then eating it the smellllll:eek:

16. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Ew!! I hope you're not eating when she does that! lol

17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive discovered a downfall to bunny weightloss. Norby has lost almost a kilo ( he was REALLY fat), but now he is so blinking fast and active that hes become really naughty. The second i go through the gate into the bun's side of the garden he's there like a flash, getting under my feet and trying to get through the gate to all my plants. I almost trod on him this morning, and trip over him about 10 times a day as heres under my feet or trying to lick them.

He's also turned into a scavenger. I caught him last night with his whole front end in my bag eating an apple i left in there. He also tries to steal the dog food and rips open bin bags incase there are nice things in them. EVERYTHING has to be put out of his way.

The plus points are great though. Even with his really short little legs he can do half binkys, and he can really pick up speed when he wants to, when all he would do before was hop slowly and sleep a lot. He has a little waist now and NEVER EVER gets a dirty bum, whereas before he did. He can just reach his bottom to eat his caecatrophs. He's an odd shaped dutch, his body is very squashed rather than long. Looks a little like a rugby ball with ears.

18. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Exactly how much pellets are you giving her? I give weetabix once every few month if that as a treat. they only get half each though. Mine get 2 handfuls of pellets between four in the summer otherwise they have runny poos. They get appropriate veg and grass too plus loads of decent hay.

19. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Ha ha! thats brilliant!! Bless him! I've noticed Lottie has a naughty glint in her eye now and she gave a good chase last night when I went to bring her in!

Can I just ask though what is a binky?

20. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

They are getting two handfulls between them every 24hrs and the bowl is always empty after then. They have an endless supply of hay, only Sugar gets treats now though. He feels really thin though now so need to try to fatten him up a bit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice