Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Lots of training issues with my 1yr old pom

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lolalou91, Jun 13, 2018.

1. lolalou91

lolalou91 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have a just over 1 yr old Pomeranian girl, she isn't my first dog but she is the naughtiest dog I've had, we got her around 10/11 weeks old. I've tried my best training her like I trained all my other dogs I've had and I'm finding it hard, these are my current issues with her.

1.Still not fully house trained. During the day she's fine. She let's me know she wants to go out and happily does her toilets in the garden. At night she sleeps downstairs in her large pen and without fail she will pee & poop in her pen. I had to stop using pee pads as this mischievous one likes to chew them all up. I've so far tried no water for bed, stop feeding past a certain time and of course I let her out before we go to bed around 11pm and then I'm up about 8am. I'm lost for what else to do to stop this?

2. Aggression & possession & not listening. This one is a diva at it's finest. She seems to think she rules the roost around here, if we stand up and leave the room she's at the back of our legs nipping and barking and trying to stop the person leaving. She's very possessive and bossy with my mum, even my mums phone rings she goes nuts. Anytime we show authority to Lola like getting her off the sofa or stopping her from being naughty she has no qualms with showing her teeth and even biting. I've tried a firm harsh approach with her and a calm silent one, neither seem to phase her. Again' I'm lost for what to do now.

3. Goodbye to cleaning. This girl hates me cleaning, she sees the hoover and she goes crazy. Barking and attacking the hoover until the hoover is off and put away. Same for the floor steamer and the same when I put the bins out. Even I put her in a second room, I can hear her next door barking like crazy. Tried to correct the behaviour and it goes over her head.

4. Eating and food. I mentioned above I have tried to stop eating times past a certain time for bedtime. However she is SO food fussy. We first fed her on biscuit food and she become fussy with it, so now (and yes this is laughable) my mum every single day cooks her chicken and carrots fresh. The dog is fed better than me. Because it's the only thing she will eat, and even sometimes she turns her nose up at that. If you give her biscuits or general dog food she will refuse to eat it and will often go a day or two without food if you stand your ground, she's only a small dog so I worry about her eating right. She has cornflakes for breakfast first thing in the morning and my mum feeds her bits of her food through out the day too, then she gets given dinner about 4pm. Which sometimes she will eat there and then but summertime she seems to not be interested in it until about 9pm at night, which is probably causing night time pooping. I tried putting food down and taking it away she doesn't seem to care that much.

Sorry for the long post, I hope anyone can share some insight or perhaps there are things I am doing wrong here. She's such a stubborn little girl and if anyone has a pom, you know how diva like they are.

Thank you in advance

2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

You have quite a few problems - I'd recommend seeing a professional, especially for the aggression. Have a look here http://www.apdt.co.uk/dog-owners/local-dog-trainers and here https://www.apbc.org.uk/help/regions

House training - you could go back to basics, get up in the middle of the night to take her out, praise her for going outside any time. Ignore if she goes inside but make sure you clean it up with something made to remove urine smells - otherwise she may keep going in that same spot.

As for food - I think you and your mum may have created a rod for your own back here, stop giving her human food, no tid bits at all. A healthy dog isn't going to starve themselves - my dog didn't have a huge appetite as a pup, she'd often leave her food but she had dog food and I stuck to it, if she didn't eat that's her choice - now she's an adult she eats perfectly fine.
    You could try wet food, often it's more enticing or soaking kibble to make it more appealing - other options are trying feeder toys such as kongs, or kibble balls to encourage them to eat - some dogs simply enjoy working for their food. As long as you're giving her bits of human food throughout the day - she's going to hold out for that, like offering a child nothing but sweets. She's a small dog - she won't need to eat much kibble at all, she'll be able to have more wet food because of the water content so it won't take her long to fill up on human food scraps.

Stay away from any trainer talking about being the alpha or pack leader - that's a load of nonsense. The two websites I linked above - the trainers there should follow a more science backed approach.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It could be that she’s anxious and her subtle signals are being missed which escalated her behaviour.

Little dogs often get picked up but some really aren’t keen.

I would avoid picking her up or moving her. Try calling her to you with silly voice and/or treat and treat/praise when she responds.

Try a house line (leash with no handle) to encourage/stop her rather than having to handle her.

When you “correct” her what do you mean? Harsh handling or stern voices can make the matter worse imo.

Look at Kikopup and positively.com for some methods to stop her reacting to household objects using gradual, treat based desensitisation.

Perhaps she gets stressed in the crate so soils - try leaving the crate open but put a baby gate at the door to restrict her access. Even try a low night light or radio to help her settle.

I doubt she’s so much being naughty (or a Diva) as feeling anxious and confused tbh

4. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

Hi & Welcome,

you have quite a few problems here .... I second bringing in professional help as there is quite alot of issues and your pom is now a dog & does not get the puppy pass anymore...

Im not a dog trainer.. but your dog seems very anxious from reading your post ... seems noises are scaring her?? you mentioned a phone ringing she goes 'nuts' and hoover and moving bins etc shes barking at, she probably associates the mop with the hoover sound as its probably within your cleaning routine... so I think you need to help her understand these things are not scary .
    I.e. bring out the hoover but don't turn it on, bring the mop out and leave it lying about ... treat her for not barking when its out and play with her while its in sight.. gradually increase increasing her time tolerance, then gradually build up to turning it on, again only turn it on for seconds etc... I would view this like you do with building up their time alone tolerance. switching up times etc...

In the mean time Take her out a walk when the hoover is on and put your phone on silence for the mean time...

In the regards to the toileting it seems shes not happy being downstairs ... does she like her crate / pen ?would she use it through the day happily?
    I had a nightmare with my boy and toileting so i do understand the absolute frustration with it, we had to go back to getting up in middle of night for a toilet break and walk before bedtime.

You keep mentioning she is bossy and doesn't like you leaving, is she happy being left on her own for x amount of time?
    did you build this up gradually? She really cant be nipping and snapping so In the mean time I would suggest a house line.... If you need to move her or stop her from nipping your mum when she moves etc you have some control over her ...when this happens use yummy treats (chicken/ ham / sausage etc) to get her to an area you desire her or distract her with toys. Don't handle her or pick her up as if she is now going for the snap this means you have ignored all her warnings so she feels she has no choice to bite now.

What training have you do with her? and when you say, 'authority' what do you mean? 'No' means nothing to a dog, if you are shouting or getting annoyed she doesnt understand. she isnt a human.

You have allowed her to be a fussy eater now, she is probably getting so much food through the day .. keep to 2 meals per day, if she isnt too food orientated trying using kongs and other dispensers where she has to work for her food...

Do you do positive training with her and exercise?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. lolalou91

lolalou91 PetForums Newbie

I can see why you say she seems anxious, I can't see why she would be anxious. As we had her from 11 weeks old and this house is such a calm house, no kids, loud unusual noises. Just two adults living here it's a very calm environment. However she does get anxious over any loud or unusual noise and I don't know why. Fireworks, hoovers (the floor steamer isn't noisy at all but she still doesn't respond well to it), putting the bins out isn't noisy. I will give the gradual exposure a go with the hoover and other items.

As I mentioned to the other lady, she seems pretty happy with her crate, during the day it's open and she goes in and out for her naps. During the night we do close it, she just goes into her bed and goes to sleep. We can leave it open there isn't an issue with that.

She isn't very good at being left on her own to be honest, she is rarely alone. We work from home and we spend 90% of our time in the house, so she isn't really used to it. Anytime we leave a room and shut the door she doesn't like it at all.

In terms of correcting her I have tried a more firmer voice, the word no and stop. I have tried what ceasar does when he makes that noise and taps the dog on the side. I have tried distraction with something like toys or treats etc. She seems to be hard to distract when she wants to go after something like the hoover, I have had my mum hoover and I try to distract with positive things and at that point I don't exist only the hoover exists.

6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

There's loads of good advice here.
    Please don't try anything Cesar does, most of it is based on 'pack leader' theory which has been disproven and may well do more harm than good.
    Your dog sounds to me also as if she's confused and defensive.

Laney_Lemons and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. MissSpitzMum

MissSpitzMum PetForums Senior

I agree with above; behaviourist is the best way to go.

I have a German Spitz x, which is a breed very closely related to a Pom. Some of the issues you've described I have had with my own dog, though some thankfully minor as I was able to recieve professional advice early on to stop it from progressing. I'll share what we were told to do, and what worked, but I strongly advise getting professional help yourself.

Leg biting; My dog used to bite your trousers if you went over the stairgate or ran too quickly around the house. It is a way of trying to control their environment and ease arousal levels. How we combatted it was make VERY SMALL movements towards the end goal, enough that he didn't react, and rewarded him for not reacting. So if her anxiety increases simply by getting up, then just fuss your bum around in the chair and toss out a treat. Then move onto raising bum off sofa and treating. Then onto standing up. And so on. Harsh words will only increase her arousal levels and make it worse. She needs to learn an alternative behaviour, and that people moving around isn't such a bad thing.

Growling and biting on the sofa; This is a form of resource guarding. If she doesn't guard the sofa at all UNTIL you try and move her, then it is a really easy fix. Basically teach her the 'off' command using food reward. Toss a treat on the floor, when she jumps down to get it say 'off'. With repetition she'll get off something on command and won't worry about being manhandled.

Hoover hating; Oh my word it was like reading a script of our dog. Nonestop montonous barking and occsionally lunging at it. Half play, half fear, all arousal. With help from this forum, we have trained our dog to 'wait' in place whilst we hoover / sweep / mow the lawn. He's still not perfect, but it isn't something that is quick to fix. What you'll need to do is first teach a good 'wait'. This can be done by teaching a good settle on a mat, or in the case of my dog (he has to be watching at all times otherwise he goes mental) just a solid down wait. Once you've taught her a solid wait / settle WITHOUT the hoover etc: then you can work on introducing each item SLOWLY. To start with not switching it on and rewarding in quick succession for waits. The end goal is a dog who has the self control to not react. I can hoover an entire room now without him reacting, though he'll still react to spades / rakes.

Fussy food; this is hugely common for this type of dog. Mine is aswell. He won't eat his dry dog food unless it is in a Kong Wobbler or a Treat Ball. I recommend trying her with one of those (probably the treat ball) to see if it entices her to eat. Also check what biscuits you are actually feeding her, dog's have tastes too and I do think we owe it to them to ensure they enjoy their dinner. Mine wouldn't touch Lily's Kitchen / Applaws / Wainwrights with a barge pole, but will happily eat Acana.

Laney_Lemons and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

And herein lies much of your problem.

It sounds to me as though this little dog doesn't know what to do. She is developing bad habits and nobody is training her, directing her or providing an outlet for her energy.

She isn't a little diva, she isn't a furry child, she's a dog. She needs routine. Stop spoiling her and take control.

How much do you walk her every day and how much time do you spend training her?

Linda Weasel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice