Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lots of strange symptoms

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by r_neupert, Jun 8, 2010.

1. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

I hate to come on here and just say help me, but i'm going to, sorry :( I'm going a bit stir crazy waiting for the vets appointment and googling horrific dog diseases!

Fingers crossed i don't sound like an awful neglecting dog owner for not flagging this up to the vet earlier (all started early May), but there was reasoning to my madness!

It started off with a random arrival of situational panic attacks - in her bed and in the car. With the bed thing, just to clarify she sleeps in quite a confined area due the fact she's a bit of a nibbler. At this point that was all we noticed, and put it down to some experience that neither of us can work out which caused anxiety. So we moved her bed - that solved that problem. We changed her food onto Hills Science Plan, bought a DAP collar and bought a travel crate. We've also been slowly reintroducing her to the car. However none of this has helped, as soon as she even thinks she's going near the car tail inbetween the legs, bugging eyes, shaking and panting - no treat or calming voice will reason with her.

No vet trip, as i've thought there was a possibility we had done some bad driving to freak her out :rolleyes: but i thought we'd just persist anyway with taking it slow.

She's now starting dribbling wee when she's laying down, possibly a UTI, result of last years spay, or something more sinister and connected i'm not sure.

Going to list some other peculiarities i've noticed - this may just be HUGE paranoia, but may have some bearing on everything else:

-Periodic diarrohea
    -Disinterest in food - eats - but not as much as normal and can take hours
    -Slightly red rash type thing on her belly
    -Doesn't sit on the sofa anymore, but chooses to lay on the floor or in a totally different room from us
    -Panting on walks (maybe heat? but didn't seem hot - have repeatedly furminated her so excess hair not an issue)

She's up to date on annual boosters - rewormed on Monday for good measure, and currently added apple cider vinegar to her food thinking it may be a UTI

HEEEELLLP!!!!

2. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

...if you think something is wrong go by your instinct....you know your dog better than anyone....keep going to your vet until they listen to you...

lovely dog by the way

juliex

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Has the vet done a thyroid check?

Anxiety attacks are a frequent occurrence of hyperthyroidism, as is changed appetite (can be either increased or decreased), diarrhoea, palpitations and shortness of breath as well as heat intolerance (might explain the panting). So quite a few of your dog's symptoms. Maybe worthwhile doing a blood test if that hasn't been done yet.

Hope that helps

#3 hobbs2004, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  4. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

I was thinking exactly the same thing reading the symptoms.

Mo

5. r_neupert

Yeh having a look at the thyroid information, there does seem to be a lot of similar symptoms. One thing that's repeatedly mentioned is the dull scruffy coat, hard to tell really as she's only got short hair, but can't say i've noticed a difference. But it's literally like she's aged 10 years in a month!! She's going to the vet on Friday, which is a bit of a wait, but it was all we could get :( Will update when i know...

She decided against eating her breakfast, but stole my partners lunch instead :confused1:

6. r_neupert

Just an update for those who helped me out:

She went to the vets today and got a good checking over. Physically she seemed all fine and they didn't have concerns about that side of things. She has put all the symptoms down to stress, which is interesting!

She's been given a months supply of Zylkene, and we've been told that if we don't see any sign of improvement in the next 2/3 weeks we're to take her back for further tests.

Got a brochure with it, and it says signs of stress are as follows:
    - House soiling
    - Increased/decreased interation with people/pets
    - Excessive grooming
    - Reduced appetite
    - Changes in use of their environment
    - Sleep disturbances
    - Reduced play
    - Posture: large pupils, lowered stance
    - Changed demeanour

I think i can identify her doing nearly all of those, so fingers crossed we've come across the problem :thumbup:

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

That's good. Fingers crossed she responds to the meds. Any idea why she might be stressed? Has anything changed recently?

8. r_neupert

We've been wracking our brains about that - it's all good dosing her up, but hardly fixes the real problem!

I have some theories, but they're weak. About 10 doors down we've noticed a new dog, I don't want to stereotype, as I have a dog that gets stereotyped!! However, it's blinking huge and is obviously guarding everytime we go past. Indy is a pretty plucky dog, but it's like a rocket is up her butt when we walk past there!! But it's only when we walk past... She's super noise sensitive though.

I'm a shift worker, but have been for a while.

Something is stressing her about the car, but we're both claiming ignorance!! Same reaction in both cars.

Then my last thought was food, however she's been on a new diet for a month now and no change.

It's a mystery. I think she's literally lost the plot...

9. Pippa Lou (Trainee ANA)

Pippa Lou (Trainee ANA) PetForums Newbie

Many dogs associate the car with car sickness and therefore find travelling a bit hectic.

As for the stress, my pooch has the same! He shakes when anyone speaks, he has periodic diarrhoea, sometimes he has a big appetite, and then suddenly he wont eat or he will take ages to eat. He's very nervous and the slightest thing stresses him out (a bit like his owner haha!) We still don't know what has made him like this as he gradually became more like this.

Thinking on about the car trouble, have you tried leaving the door of the car or however the dog gets in open and letting the dog enter of its own accord? (Obviously still kept on a lead but giving a bit of slack). Or putting a favourite blanket in the car?

:) x

10. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Our staffies used to be terrible in the car... throwing up on the stortest journey.. A vet offered me a sedative ACP to calm them for a long journey we had... I see the signs just before they throw up, try not to panic and pull up and let the dog have some air... I did find though letting them sit with there noses out of the window helped.. But from what you have said she does sound quite stressed, sometimes you just can't find out what has caused it.. stick with the meds and see how you go.. it may just give her some time to sort her head out...

People get put on anti depressants and they come of them and can then carry on in life normally, sometimes you just need that little bit extra help to sort yourself out..
    Sounds like you are doing everything you can to help your likkle dog out..

Goodluck hun. xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice