Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lost tooth

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MatildaG, Apr 17, 2011.

1. MatildaG

MatildaG PetForums Member

Hi all,

Today as my cat was relaxing on the floor in the living room, I noticed a shiny little tooth in front of him that had obviously somehow fallen out.

He turned 1 year old on Friday - is he too old to assume it's his baby teeth coming out as they should? I haven't seen him knock his face in any way but it's possible that on one of his mad rampages round the house that he has run into something.

I had a look in his mouth and there was a small spot of blood where it had come out as you'd expect. He doesn't appear to be in any pain although he did try getting under the coffee table at one point, however this isn't unusual for him!

Should I be booking in a trip to the vets?

MG x

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Not sure what to suggest really.Is it possible that 1 of his baby teeth didnt come out when the new adult tooth came in? This can sometimes happen with the incisors and canine teeth particularly.Was it a tooth with a long root or more like it was a bit jagged and small

3. MatildaG

Thanks for your reply! It's the full tooth that has come out but the bit where it was attached is straight and a bit jagged as opposed to having a root attached.

It's the sharper one from the side (canine?) on the left.

MG x

4. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I would'nt rush off to the vets today, but he seems a bit old to be still looseing his kitten teeth unless he had an impacted one :confused: he is also a bit young to be looseing his teeth :confused:

I would get him checked over by the vet this week just incase the root has'nt come out with the tooth :(

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Are there still four canines in place ie.one either side top and 1 either side bottom or is there gap with one missing completely.Sorry for all the questions but it is difficult when you cant see it :)

6. felineworld

felineworld PetForums Newbie

No need to rush to the vet. Kittens at that age are still teething. Its normal. Mine is the same age and he lost one the other day.
    ;)
    http://www.felineworld.co.uk

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Dont think it is all that common for a cat 12 months old to be still teething :confused:

8. MatildaG

Thanks for all the advice!

There is a gap where the tooth was by the looks of it, just a spot of blood in its place.

MG x

9. MatildaG

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your advice. Just to update you - I took my boy into the vets this morning to see the nurse just to get him checked over and it appears he has all of his teeth. The one that dropped out must have been one of his baby teeth hanging on in there that eventually got pushed out.

MG x

10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Thanks for the update :smile:

11. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I hope he's put it under his pillow :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice