Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lost my Yorkie Friday.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gumball180, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Gumball180

Gumball180 PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    I wanted to ask a question.

I lost my amazing Yorkshire Terrier Friday morning with what I now suspect to be Brain Cancer. He had all the symptoms of both a Stroke and Brain cancer.

In the very early hours of Friday morning he started walking in circles around the room hitting he’s head on everything and getting tangled in chairs and tables.

I picked him up and he went limp in my arms. A few hours after he passed away and I lost my best friend. He’s name was Pippin. I have autism and Pippin was my safety zone in this world, a deep dark hole has been left in my heart. I can’t focus, I can’t eat, I’m broken.

He was one of two at my grandparents house, where I sleep. Pippin’s brother, Pickles has reacted well to Pippins passing. He is very much obsessed with my grandmother.

I was in the process of moving my office from my parents house where I spend my time working from 7am-11pm then I was with Pippin. Safe and happy. I was moving my office to be closer to him while he was ill. I had fooled myself into thinking he would recover.

I can’t bare the house anymore without my little guy. My parents have a Collie (Charlie) that I love very much. I’am the only one that can calm him down.

So my question, in the future, not too long but time for me to mourn. How would Pickles, Pippins brother react to me bringing a new furry friend home?

I don’t want to make this time even worse for the little guy. I don’t want to feel as though I’m replacing Pippin either. I’ll never forget him, never, he saved my life when I was on the edge.

Would another Yorkie be better than another breed for Pickles?

I know it’s a tough question but I thought I might try. I may just need to tell more people about Pippin.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

So sorry to hear that you have lost Pippin. One of the worst feeling in the world.

How old is Pickles?

With care, if he is used to being with another dog, he should be happy about it, as long as it's an appropriate age and respects his space. Great care should be taken in choosing and introducing.
    If you get a rescue, hopefully you could take Pickles along to meet it for his approval before you ever say yes

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Pippin.
    I lost my old dachshund just before Christmas, my other girl missed her terribly and was very sad. So in May we got another one , a 6 yr old boy who she likes, they get on very well. He is a very laid back little guy, ideal temperament for her.
    That's him in front in my Avatar, she is just behind. As a rule Reena is not brilliant with other dogs but is better with the same breed as her, which is why we chose Bobby.

DaisyBluebell and LinznMilly like this.
  4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry for your loss. In December I lost my boxer girl lily. She was only 3 and had a massive heart attack. It devastated me. My older boy Sox was upset.

We had already put a deposit down on a pup after thought we went ahead and got Loki. Sox accepted him well and after some initial irritating puppy behaviour they now get on great.

It did take me longer to bond properly but now I wouldn't be without him. It did help take my mind off things to a certain extent but was difficult when grieving.

The Blue Cross have a counselling line. I emailed a lady for a few months talking about lily.

5. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I'm very sorry for the loss of your lovely Pippin. x

6. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

I am so sorry if Pippin is over 6 I would think about a rescue rather than a puppy

7. Gumball180

Thank you all you very much.

Pickles is about 12-13 he is a few month younger than Pippin.

I wanted to rescue a dog. Maybe another Yorkie or a similar size dog as it would feel too much like a replacement but I never could replace him.

It would just feel weird I think, it’s always been Pippin and Pickles. I still need time.

I wouldn’t get a puppy as I’ve also got a young CRAZY Border Collie around my parents house.

8. rona

rona Still missing my boys

With a dog that age I think I'd wait to see how he adjusts to being on his own. He may be fine and a peaceful slip into old age may suit him. I know two old dogs that blossomed after losing their life long companions

9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I don't think there is ever a right time. Allow yourself time to grieve. Maybe contact a local rescue to see if they can keep you in the loop if any suitable dogs are available. It will take time for you to feel better.

I'm seven months in and it gets easier. I still have days when I feel awful and miss her so much but I have good memories to.

LinznMilly likes this.
  10. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

So sorry for your loss. Please feel free to talk about Pippin as often as you like on here.

Listen - you won't - can't replace him. Even if you got a dog that was exactly the same colour and breed as he was, you will never have another Pippin. He was unique - all dogs are - just as all humans are. There may be things that remind you of Pippin, but then another dog will have quirks and mannerisms all their own. And that's fine.

Here's a poem or 2 that helped me when my Max went to the Bridge;

You never said I'm leaving
    You never said Goodbye
    You were gone before I knew it
    And only God knows why

A million times I've needed you.
    A million times I've cried.
    If love alone could have saved you,
    You never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
    In death a love you still,
    In my heart you hold a place,
    No one else can ever fill

It broke my heart to lose you,
    But you didn't go alone,
    A piece of me went with you,
    The day God called you home.

Author Unknown

And

When you're walking down the street,
    Memories of me on your mind,
    I'm walking in your footsteps,
    Just half a step behind.

And when the time comes,
    For you to go
    From that body to be free,
    Remember you're not going,
    You're coming home to me.

Author Unknown.

11. Gumball180

4EE59F44-2508-41FC-9FC5-56DDFEECB49F.jpeg Thank you again for your support. He means a lot to me and he always will. I used to call him my little Polar Bear (he was slightly white, in places) he used to tap my arm very gently when he wanted some cuddles. He would take he’s stuffed Polar Bear around the house with him when he was going to bed. We wrapped him in he’s favourite blanket when he died, he loved that thing.

I’m going to miss him so much. He saved my life when I was at a low point. But I was there for the two weeks he was ill, staying up all night with him. Even when he pushed he’s little nose through the bottom of my book I was reading at 4am to touch the tip of he’s nose on mine. Even though he was ill and looking for help and reassurance I’ll always remember that with a smile.

I haven’t been in the living room since he past. We used to watch cartoons all night together. I’d tell him my worries and he would make the world better. He died on he’s favourite spot on the chair. Where he used to sit and tap my arm. I miss him so much. These are the times autism feels like a curse. People are complicated and confusing.

I was planning on working on my office some more as the weeks go by. I want Pickles to settle in a little before I bring in another dog and add a new friend to my long list of furry friends.

He, Pickles and Charlie (my parents Border Collie) are my best friends. They’re all I need to make sense of the world.

ECF0597A-FF94-42C0-B623-6FE5AA3A2AFB.jpeg
    For those who wanted to see the little brown bear, Pickles.

#11 Gumball180, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    rona, Jobeth, DaisyBluebell and 3 others like this.
  12. Philip230656

Philip230656 PetForums Junior

You are a wonderful person, I fully understand every word you write, I lost my little boy Bailey a month ago, a little Shin Tzu, 14 yrs old, he was my best friend, time does heal a bit, but you never forget, I have another dog also a Shih Tzu called Oscar, at first he was really missing his mate, they had been together 13 yrs, he still has moments when he just sits looking at the front door, waiting for Bailey to come home. But I spend every minute I can with the old chap. Keep your chin up. Try to remember the good times, and what a good life he had, it his hard to explain the pain we feel at these times, but you can always talk to peop!e on this site, we all understand, xx

13. Gumball180

Thank you, it has helped a lot to talk on this site. I did t think anything would. Pickles surly needs time, even though he saw Pippin when he died, Pickles can still smell him. Particularly in my room where Pippin attempted to sleep.

Poor little guy is running around my room sniffing everything Pippin was near. Feel awful for the poor guy.

14. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

He was a gorgeous little man. A kind face.

Even now if I say lily name Sox pricks his ears up. He gave such big cuddles when she died he seemed to be trying to comfort me.

15. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss

16. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I'm really sorry about your beautiful boy.

17. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss:(

18. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

So sorry for your loss, looking at Pippin's picture and the lovely one in your Avatar I am not at all surprised how much you are missing him - he has the loveliest little face. You will never get over loosing Pippin you will just adjust to it and eventually be happy that you were so lucky to have had him. He may be gone physically but he will be forever in your heart so you will in fact never be without him ever again where ever you go what ever you do he will be with you.He knew how much you loved him and you did the right thing for him which he will have expected of you & he would have loved you as much as you loved him. Give yourself time to grieve and remember Pickles will also grieve but you may well find Pickles will quite like to be your constant companion while you grieve together & help each other.
    As others have said when you feel ready go to a few rescue places and see how you feel, you will know if it feels right and you will also know the right dog when the time comes. Please come on a chat and show us some more picture of Pippin, we all love to see the pictures on here.

19. Gumball180

Thank you for your kind words. Pickles has begun to act strangely. He seems to be OK. He’s eating and drinking. I’m going to continue with my office and spend some time with him. Settle down a little and then start looking at dogs.

20. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

IMG_0290.jpg It sounds like you have a lovely home for a rescue. Look after yourself it will take a while before you feel normal again.

Gumball180 and DaisyBluebell like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice