Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lost my cat and feel overwhelmingly guilty

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by William Airs, Nov 29, 2019.

1. William Airs

William Airs PetForums Newbie

My cat was very ill the last few days- she was not eating drinking, could barely support herself on her back legs and was hiding in places.

So I took her to the vet yesterday. The vet said she was extremely dehydrated and gave me the option of leaving her at the vets overnight to be drip fed. This morning I got the news that she passed away at the vets.

The thought of her dying alone at the vets in a place she is unfamiliar with, without me or the family around is emotionally crushing me.

I should of brought her home to die with us near her in a place she is familiar with. She has lived with us for more than half my life (im only 22) and i can’t get over the sense of guilt. I hope she didn’t think we abandoned her

How do I overcome this?

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry this has happened. It will take time for you to come to terms with it, that's all. Your girl was probably too ill to notice much other than how she felt, and would not have felt abandoned by you. You did the right thing, the only thing you could have done for her, taking her to the vet for treatment, which is the correct responsible thing to do. If she had died at home without receiving medical care you would not have felt any less guilty.

I'm so sorry for your loss. x

Tiggers likes this.
  3. William Airs

William Airs PetForums Newbie

I feel devastated as I practically grew up with her and she was always around, and I had a strong bond with her. Have been in tears all day.

Thank you very much for your kind words

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Yes, it is devastating to lose a beloved pet. The only thing you can do is allow yourself to grieve, if you hadn't loved her so much and had such a bond you wouldn't be hurting so much now. Just let yourself grieve. x

#4 lorilu, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    William Airs likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice