Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lost Fang

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Dave Tomlinson, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Dave Tomlinson

Dave Tomlinson PetForums Newbie

Just found out that my cat has lost his top right fang; probably fighting! Spoke to vet who said the cat would be fine. But have just read that this may cause the cat some pain. Not sure what to do now any advice would be helpful please

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome :)

Does your cat seem in pain? e.g. is he pawing at his mouth, finding eating difficult or refusing to eat at all? If any of those is the case then I would ask the vet for some pain relief for him.

I suspect a feline tooth may only hurt if it gets broken off in the gum. If it comes out completely I think it may not hurt much after the initial blow that knocked it out. But definitely keep an eye on him and see how he goes.

3. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Our boy lost his bottom left fang not too long ago...he had an incident involving jumping on our bed in the night as husband was getting into bed, smacking into his knee. A few days later it was a funny angle, then *plop* a couple of days after it fell onto the floor. By the look of it, it actually broke off. We took him to the vet (to be fair it was looking okay in terms of his gum etc) and they said it was fine, just to observe it as it was already growing over. As soon as it came out he wolfed a huge bowl of food.

I’d say if he’s not eating, or the gum looks red/inflamed take him to see the vet for sure. If it was a few days ago and you’ve not noticed until now, observation may be the key. If he will let you examine his mouth then have a look.

4. Dave Tomlinson

:)Thanks to you Chillminx

chillminx likes this.
  5. Dave Tomlinson

Thanks for your advice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice