Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lost confidence

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by RockRomantic, Feb 8, 2012.

1. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

Since Buster was attacked, and this was a bit ago, i feel like I've lost all confidence in letting him off lead.

I took him for a walk last night and let him of lead on this plot of grass thinking noone was around when their was this woman with a jack russell (or looked like one anyway) well the jack russell came over to Buster who just stood there, i ran over and put his lead back on and the woman put her dogs lead back on (probably because i put mine on) but all Buster was doing was shaking, tail in between legs and jumping up at my legs.

It's so silly, he's a fantastic dog, (when he wants to be), i could walk through a park with him offlead the whole time, he wouldn't run away, he wouldn't go over to other dogs so i'm not sure why i'm so.....weird when it comes to other dogs being around, soon as i see one i just put him back on his lead rather than ignoring the other dog and just carrying on :(

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I think what you're feeling would be normal after a dog attack. I guess what you have to be careful of is that you're not transferring your anxiety and fear to Buster.

How about putting him on a long line for a while - then you know that you can easily get him if you need to, but still gives him the opportunity to meet other dogs.

I think the more often you run up and put his lead on and take him away from another dog, the more he's going to see dogs as something he needs to be protected from.

I feel for you though, it can't be easy :(

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I'm sorry you've lost your confidence and its totally unnerved you. Its only natural in the circumstances and I would be just the same. Hopefully, in time, you'll be able to relax a little bit.

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I think, as the other posters have said, that it will just take some time for you to relax and feel as confident as you did before. I am sorry to hear how much it has shaken you.

5. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

I don't think you are weird at all. When you witness an attack , you have watched and been involved in a traumatic event and you never want to be in that situation again. For me i took many solitary walks so I could chill, classes(anything and everthing) and organised, well run social walks for confidence rebuilding for both of us. Over time I learned to watch Tinks body language and let her decide who she wished to meet and greet (with their owners permission) who she'd rather avoid. ( I may offend some people when I turn away on sighting them/their dog(s), but you know what so be it!)

I generally continue to avoid any dogs who's owner appears to have little control or is not 'present' physically or mentally (on phone, too busy talking to companion etc) and any dog who's body language is a little funky.

Hang in there, It does get better.

6. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

Thanks guys, i think Buster can sense me being tense to be perfectly honest, i will try a longline' theres some social walks i can go to but there pretty far away but i could go once every couple weeks so think i'll give it a try :)

7. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

McKenzie said it better than I ever could

Give yourself a break hun , you have a lovely little lad there and he is a credit to you

8. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I know that feeling. Spencer is dog friendly but I still find myself worried about meeting other dogs with him. I'm going to try to find people with friendly dogs to walk him with now and then, the last thing I want is for him to end up like Rupert because I'm anxious!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice